Best program for opening Zip files

By kcking
Oct 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have seen several different programs that can unzip files (i.e. winzip, 7zip, winRAR) and I was just wondering which 1 is the best (and smallest) for basic unzipping of files.
    I don't really need it for compressing files as much as doing a basic unzip, so a smaller (user friendly) program would be great.

Also, is there anyway to scan .zip/.rar files for viruses before they are unzipped?
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

I'm a big fan of winrar - I even bought it to help support them. It depends on your a/v and settings whether or not you scan compressed file content. Most do without issue unless there is a password on the file.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

I happen to like the user interface in ALZIP. It also handles 36 different compression formats
  4. kcking

kcking Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

I'll probably try winRAR. 36 formats sounds like a pretty 'bulky' application. I really only need it to work with zip and rar files, but thanks for the reply.
    Anyone use 7zip?
  5. almcneil

almcneil TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,554

If you need a zip program just for simple zip, just use the Windows default. I would only use a 3rd party zip program if I want extra features like encryption or better compression. For that, I've always used WinZIP but then again, I never really compared.

-- Andy
  6. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

Andy has a good point and a valid one- Windows XP has it's own build-in decompression tool. User can extract the files with ease. I think a lot of us got use to WinZip, but when XP came along, it could be left out. I use Windows XP exclusively to either zip or unzip everything.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

I agree with almcneil, if its just zip files, Windows ME and above can do it (you had to select it specifically during the ME install). Its pretty nice because if you just have a few things in there you want to deal with Windows will actually run them from inside the zip, the only thing that doesn't work like that is if its a program that requires other files to run that are also inside the zip.
  8. kcking

I've never come across the build-in decompression tool. Could someone walk me through how to find it?
    Thanks
  9. Bobbye

It's pretty easy:

Right click on the zipped file or folder> you will get a screen asking if you want to extract all the files> click on that and you're done!

Going the other way, to zip or compress a file or folder:

Right click on the file or folder> Send To> choose compressed (zipped) folder!

That's all there is to it! How's that for a walk through?
  10. kcking

Thanks! Worked great.
    Will this also work with .rar files or just .zip
  11. Bobbye

Found on Yahoo.

12. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

OR you simply use one tool that handles all those different compression formats for free with an easy user interface.. like i said, at the beginning of this thread, ALZIP ;)

p.s. over time you'll also find you need more then just .rar and .zip files... IMHO do it all with one free tool
  13. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

Windows can only open .zip by default.
    If i were you, I would just forget about this and don't do anything until you find you need to.
  14. kcking

Thank you all for your advice.
    I'll stick with the build-in decompression tool for now as hellokitty suggested.
  15. Bobbye

Did you understand what we said:

Use the Windows 'built-in' unzip/zip tool for Zip files.

For .rar files, you will need another tool like WinRar.

This was simplifying the process for you, not making it complicated! You did ask about the .rar files so it is 'assumed' that you have them. 4 of us basically told you the same thing.
  16. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

I think he knows that, but i don't think he has any RAR files at the moment.
    The lazy way (like my way) would be to just use default windows decompression until needed.
  17. Bobbye

hk, note these please:

Whether he actually has either zip files or rar files, he asked about both. That's what I was addressing.
  18. kcking

Wow! Someone seems to be a bit touchy.
    Apparently I was a bit unclear with my post. I did ask for advice about zip and rar files as you aptly quoted and I thanked everyone for their replies.

I was simply stating that I would stick with the built-in tool until another program was needed to handle RAR files.

19. Bobbye

Hey, no problem! Just trying to cover it all. No 'touchy' here. Sorry if you misunderstood.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.