TechSpot

Best Sound Card for Windows 7

By MattyS
Apr 4, 2010
  1. Anyone recommend a good sound card with 7.1 support for about £80? Im not sure what to get.

Matt

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +69

Many say that the onboard sound has become very good in the last few years and a sound card isn't needed. Creative's fiasco with poor driver/tech support and other dubious actions hasn't helped.

However there are some good options and depending on what you want to do such as Asus, etc. One compnayy that I really like is HT Omega. I don't know where to link for the UK nor do I know if you can purchase or if they fit your budget but here is a link for you to at least become familiar with their offerings:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ht+omega

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Acer (Gateway/Emachine), HP all seem to be using Realtek HD 7.1 sound chips with HDMI. No real issues but make sure they're updated. So look for PCI or PCI-E (better) with Realtek HD 7.1 sound.

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

I haven't encountered any bad Creative drivers... using an X-Fi Titanium with Win7 ultimate and it's working perfectly; sounds amazing. Hard to not recommend.

5. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +7

6. mustmm

mustmm TS Rookie

X-Fi Titanium with Win7 ultimate.
    this is a good ideal.

7. MattyS

MattyS TS Rookie Topic Starter

Has creative drivers improved because i used them in the past and the drivers was not that good at all.

8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,227   +232

Yes the Creative drivers have improved greatly over the last couple of years... but so has on-board sound :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.