TechSpot

Best Sound Card for Windows 7

By MattyS
Apr 4, 2010
  1. Anyone recommend a good sound card with 7.1 support for about £80? Im not sure what to get.

Matt

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,167   +37

Many say that the onboard sound has become very good in the last few years and a sound card isn't needed. Creative's fiasco with poor driver/tech support and other dubious actions hasn't helped.

However there are some good options and depending on what you want to do such as Asus, etc. One compnayy that I really like is HT Omega. I don't know where to link for the UK nor do I know if you can purchase or if they fit your budget but here is a link for you to at least become familiar with their offerings:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ht omega

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Acer (Gateway/Emachine), HP all seem to be using Realtek HD 7.1 sound chips with HDMI. No real issues but make sure they're updated. So look for PCI or PCI-E (better) with Realtek HD 7.1 sound.

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

I haven't encountered any bad Creative drivers... using an X-Fi Titanium with Win7 ultimate and it's working perfectly; sounds amazing. Hard to not recommend.

5. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

6. mustmm

mustmm TS Rookie

X-Fi Titanium with Win7 ultimate.
    this is a good ideal.

7. MattyS

MattyS TS Rookie Topic Starter

Has creative drivers improved because i used them in the past and the drivers was not that good at all.

8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,933   +167

Yes the Creative drivers have improved greatly over the last couple of years... but so has on-board sound :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.