TechSpot

Best value GPU for £200ish?

By stonarda
Dec 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a brand new gaming and work rig I have been working on for quite some time now and all that is left to get is a good graphics card. My PC specs are as follows:
    - AMD 8350 8-core processor
    - Asus M5A99X Motherboard
    - G7 Power Extreme 880W PSU with all the required PCIe power connectors
    - OCZ 120GB SSD
    - Western Green 1TB Hard Drive
    - A CD Drive and Card Reader
    - A CIT Case (not sure whihc model but will fit any graphics card inside)
    - Single 1080p monitor capable of HDMI, VGA, DVI connections.
    - Windows 8 64-bit edition

I am looking for a new graphics card to put into my build and hope to get one for around the £200 price mark (give or take about £30). I am only going to purchase it on amazon.co.uk (ebuyer and other sites don't seem as familiar unless it is a really good offer). I will be playing Crysis 2, Just Cause and COD and also will be using the rig for HD/HD+ live and pre-recorded video editing using lightworks and adobe after effects. I may even get a second monitor in the future for use with eyeinfinity and for more work space depending on how I get on. My preference is to go with AMD because I am a lot more familiar with their software and cards and have always used AMD in the past with no issues. I have looked at the following cards:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-Rad...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356631237&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-Rad...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356630047&sr=1-1

I want to know what really is the 'best bang for your buck' or the best performing card in this price range. I will be happy to overclock the cards if neccessary but only slightly (maybe add a max of 50mhz to both memeory and core clocks). Thanks a lot to anyone that replies! I don't have much experience in this area. It also needs to be future-proof.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,826   +1,436

The 7950 is the better card.
  3. stonarda

stonarda TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 180   +17

Its supposed to be, but the one I am looking at only seems to be as good as the 7870 if it is overclocked. At stock frequencies it near to the 7870's performance.
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,291   +263

This - no questions. Still have doubts then you must really want to buy that 7870.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.