Best Video Card for 400.00? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a video card thats gonna eat games for breakfast. Im gearing up for oblivion, i got my gig of ram and im equipped with a 2.8 hard drive. I have a budget of around 400.00 dollars i actually have about 460 to work with but i want to get a big game i can currently play. i saw the 7800 gtx, they say its the fastest one out? Its just a tad out of my price range though, what would be the 2nd fastest? Maybe there are some that are cheaper that will do just as good of a job? I need to someting thats gonna run oblivion, the video card i have now (geforce4), would die trying to run it. Can anyone please help me? Thanks alot.
:)

If yu have a PCI express slot then I would go with a 7800GT ( less than 300.00) and another 1GB of ram. OR a XFI sound card.

Its an agp. I dont know a whole lot about computers, i know some, im a gamer and thats really only what my comp is used for. Usually when i need a question answerd i can ask my brother and dad, but on video cards were clueless. Once again. Thanks.

iss said:
If yu have a PCI express slot then I would go with a 7800GT ( less than 300.00) and another 1GB of ram. OR a XFI sound card.

Would putting a 7800gt into an agp work? Or would there be problems?

If you have PCI Express, I recomend the 7800 GT. Or you could get a 7800 GTX for only $450. You could not have pizza once, and afford this card. Or try a X850XT ATI card. Or you could not buy a car and get X1900XT Crossfire :hotbounce LOL.

My money isnt going any where, its been set back. The 7800 gtx looks awsome, maybe if i get lucky i could get one.

the fastest agp card is the x850xtpe, but theres a rumor that nvidia will relice the 7800gs for agp, slighly slower then the 7800gt, if i were you i would wait and get that

Would putting a 7800gt into an agp work? Or would there be problems?

no you cant put a PCI express card in an AGP slot. and as far as saving your money for a 7800GTX, as far as I know they dont make a AGP 7800GTX or plan to.

if you are stuck with AGP then look for a X850XT.

u could....save up a little more money and get a new motherboard that supports PCI-E, which is good for the long run, and then buy a 7800 PCI-E card

They are making a 7800gs for agp and pci-express, this will be your best bet
look
here here here for more info on it

the price will be about 250-350 at launch
they will be benching it and see how it stands up to the gt and gtx
here

But it doesn't say anything about the 7800GS being an AGP card. Or is the GS connotation used for AGP NVIDIA cards?
As for the X850XT, the X800 and X850 have not that much of a performance difference as they both share the same core. So the X800XT would be a cheaper alternative. Or you could get the 6800GS, depending on availability and ur preference of brand.

look here, it is comming gin agp fourm as well as pci- express

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2058 said:
Our own feeling is that 7800GS will indeed come out as a card (recent reports elsewhere not withstanding) and we have a strong suspicion that the card will be AGP compliant. Though PCIe has been fairly successful thus far, NVIDIA still has a significant AGP market to cover, which it needs to do to justify as much profits as possible.

I dont think I would base my decision n what card to get or wait for in the basis of what some guy on the net's "feeling" is. if Nvidia plans on bringing out an AGP version I would think they would have mentioned it by now.

i would suggest you wait because there are so many rumors that it may launch
here here

i would give it until feb 15th, if not then go for the x800xtpe\x850xt\xtpe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back