Best way to copy and expand partitions with new second HD?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to read and help.

My current 250 GB hard drive is approaching capacity on all three of its partitions. Additionally, when I initially partitioned the drive some years back, I only allocated 15 GB to C:, where I've got WinXP loaded.

I just ordered a 1 TB drive. So I was wondering how best to utilize this new purchase to transfer data over and also expand my C: partition/drive, where WinXP will continue to reside...all without the hassle of reinstalling Windows, which I really want to avoid.

I've read some on the subject, but haven't found a definitive answer. I suppose I could copy just D: and E: over to the new drive, erase them on the old drive, and then expand C: into them (or merge). I might be able to copy just C: to the new drive, make it the master and then erase C: from the old drive and boot with the new. But, honestly, I'm just guessing here.

Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish my goals with the least risk to data integrity?

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

ELB

Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
PSU: Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2400 MHz
RAM: Corsair 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX460-1 GB GDDR5 PCIE2 GV-N460OC-1GI
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer
HD2(coming soon): Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD10EALX
DVD-R: ASUS DRW-2014L1T LS SATA DVD Burner
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 x32-bit
DirectX: 9.0c

Back