Best way to create a 1 page a day book for eReaders?

By SNGX1275
Feb 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I want to create an ebook for reading on a Kindle or whatever, and ultimately it will have 1 page for each day of the year.

I want to be able to do this on a computer, probably as a *.rtf file. I was originally just going to use WordPad and insert a page break after each day's content. Turns out that even though WordPad and rtf files can handle page breaks, you can't insert them from within WordPad.

I'm not sure that a Kindle can read rtf files (it probably can) so I was going to convert the rtf to mobi with Calibre after completing it.

So.. My question is. Is there something small and basic that I can use to accomplish this? I know I could do it in Word (or ugh GoogleDocs) and insert page breaks that way, and then eventually save as *.rtf, but I was thinking there has to be a program that is light like WordPad but will insert page breaks. I did google simple rtf editors, but I got a bunch of results for web developers and sort of gave up pursuing at that point.

I'll probably just do it in Word and save as rtf, but I was just not wanting to go that way if there is a program that will do it outside of a full featured office program.

Edit: Maybe I don't need the page breaks anyway... I was thinking, the Kindle might override any defined pages based on the size text set on the Kindle.
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

Try digging up an old copy of "Microsoft Works". I have it, but it's tatooed to my board as "value added" software. It used to be available as a cheap "buy me instead of Office" disc. I have no idea what in the way of DRM the install disc has in it. I should run under XP without a problem. Any CD emulator should be able to rip and mount it, regardless.

I was playing with its word processor the other night, doing exactly what you want to do, but with music tabs. Rich Text does hold the page breaks, but I figure you already know that.

I only have "Works" on one computer, so .rtf is the way to go so as to avoid installing "Open Office", on every computer in the house.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 12,424   +281

I remember Microsoft Works, heh. I bought an HP Pavilion the summer of 1998 and it came with a Works CD (along with several others, believe Microsoft Money was also in there). Never used it much because I got that PC for college and then everyone was using Word, so I had to obtain a copy of Office and just used that...
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,766   +1,427

I'm not sure if it will help but wiki has a list of text editors.

Comparison of text editors

I noticed a Windows freeware app listed called Q10. There are several others listed, surely there is one that will help.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,286   +281

Here's one way, but due to RTF headers, the results are no usable;
    • create & save document.xxx
    • create daily addendum and save as day1.xxx
    • type day1.xxx >>document.xxx
    do this with TEXT files and it will demonstrate the concept is correct.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.