Best way to store "My Documents" etc. on my other hard drive?

Dhakos

I have 2 hard drives and wanted to use the bigger one to store my documents on, and the smaller one to have windows and my programs on etc, a standard setup, but what's the best way to go about this? I'm running Windows Vista

I know I can change the location of the "documents" folder, to wherever I want, but that would mean doing the same with pictures, videos etc so I was hoping I could change my "C:\users\username\" location, to have the whole lot on my other HD (which I've read is possible) but then I thought, what would happen if the hard drive with my user info wasnt available (HD crash or something) would I then be unable to log on to windows?

Any help/advice regarding setting this up would be greatly appreciated :)

You can right click on them and change location. Shouldn't take more than about 30 seconds to change the location of: Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos.

If that hard drive dies, yes you'll lose the information, but thats no different than if your OS drive died and you had the data still on it. Bottom line is you should never have only 1 copy of important data. And no, if that drive dies it will not prevent you from logging into Windows.

I have a (Backup) installation of windows on the hard drive that I'm trying to have my documents default location set, so I thought I'd just change the drive letter so my documents are in the same place within windows, but on a different drive (C:\Users\ is now F:\Users\)
Except I'm getting a load of permission read only rubbish, because the documents are technically not mine, is there an easy way around this? I tried changing the permissions but got a load of "access denied" messages

Oh, brilliant! worked like a charm straight away, much better than all that permissions rubbish, many thanks! I'll be able to start using that location for my documents straight away :)

Back