Better Spreadsheet Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannthr

This might be a little out of left field, but I have a CSV file that's basically a little under 380 columns wide and 150 rows long and I need a spreadsheet software that can import CSV files, can handle the width of this sheet, and can do priority sorts with multiple columns.

Any suggestions?

I have Excel, it just can't do it--it cuts the sheet off about mid-way width-wise. Google docs won't do it either.

yep; I believe max columns = 256

the new Office with Windows 7 reports to have more columns allowed.

hmm; that's nye unto being unusable (imo): can view or print it properly.

Surely there's some data that could be eliminated --- what's the content;
system specs (ie all hardware on a system) for every system in the network?

Could you consider a rotation where the column headings become the left-most row
and the current rows become the columns?

It's demographic data (ie, salaries, age, gender, experience, etc), and it needs to be frequently sorted for analysis.

Basically, I need to be able to open it up into a spreadsheet and not only print it out or view it, but also sort and resort it over and over to analyze relationships, correlations, etc.

I might be able to get a friend to program a script that would cut the data in half, but the problem is that will hinder my ability to relate column A to column IO.

It's data from a 370+ question survey with over 140 respondents.

:\

get the data rotated for respondents as the columns and questions as the rows

hmm; upon a second pass, it dawns upon me that a rotation will foul up sorting :(

sorting is upon vertical columns so the answer to any given question must be in the same column; NOT the same row.

sorry

It's okay, thanks for your help though, Open Office was the ticket!

Thanks Tedster.

Gguerra, I should've mentioned that I'm on Office XP (old skool, I know), but I wasn't aware of that improvement, and that's mighty fine, so in the long term, I'll probably look into Office 2007 (I just hate that UI for some darned reason).

Thanks guys,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back