Better WiFi antenna?

By fw2004
Jul 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi;

I'm looking for a better antenna system for my D-Link DI-624 router and D-Link WIFI PCI card.

Perhaps it would be best to improve the antenna on the PC, not the router, since I don't really want to broadcast my WIFI signal outside of the house (I am using standard 128 bit encryption).

Perhaps a directional antenna is what I need.

Can anyone suggest one?

Thanks

FW
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

http://cantenna.com/

Mine works well. It still won't shoot through thick concrete, brick, or steel walls, but in a regularly constructed house, it is a good improvement.
  3. fw2004

fw2004 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 203

I've seen the ads for those, and the home-brew versions too.
    They seem to be really easy to build, so I don't think I would spend the $40 to buy one.
    I also read that in some places, the possession of such a device is illegal, due to some wi-fi thiefs using them to acquire signals. That's not my concern though. Mine will be used only in the house.

In any case, I am not sure whether I'll build one, or just run a CAT5e cable up the wall.
    I have a wall space open for AC wiring, so I may just drill a few more holes and run the ethernet cable.

Does anyone know how far from other conductors / metal objects I should run my cat5e (utp) cable in the wall?
    I was thinking that if I am at least one stud distance (16") away from the Romex, I'm OK, but maybe I need to be even further?

FW
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.