Betty White has a message for you on World Password Day 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s May 5 and that can only mean one thing – Cinco de Mayo! Oh, and it’s also World Password Day, an occasion designed to help people get on their way to a more secure online life.

Securing your online accounts and profiles is paramount. Just ask former Ole Miss lineman Laremy Tunsil, a high-profile prospect who suffered a pair of social media breaches during the NFL Draft late last month that likely cost him around $10 million.

Granted, most of us will never be in a position in which a security blunder would result in that kind of financial loss but it highlights the importance of keeping your accounts safe and secure to the best of your ability.

The World Password Day initiative is led by Intel Security and championed by tons of other tech companies including Dell, Lenovo, AOL and the Herjavec Group, just to name a few. The group commissioned beloved actress Betty White to star in several short video spots, one of which is embedded above.

Most of you are already well aware of the steps to take to protect yourself online but as a quick refresher, Intel recommends creating strong passwords, using a different password for each account, getting a password manager and enabling two-factor authentication whenever possible.

Visitors are also encouraged to take the security IQ quiz, a series of 10 questions to test your security knowledge.

Permalink to story.

I thought I'd hear what she had to say and then make some stupid joke about why she's still alive, but this takes me right back to Boston Legal, which is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. She's probably being spoon-fed every one of those lines, but she's got the balls to speak them! Respect!

Passwords don't work, period. Time to move to bio-scans completely -

cheap ones: finger prints, facial recognition, voice recognition
medium expensive: palm heat signature scanners
expensive ones: retina scans, DNA scanners

Passwords don't work, period. Time to move to bio-scans completely -

cheap ones: finger prints, facial recognition, voice recognition
medium expensive: palm heat signature scanners
expensive ones: retina scans, DNA scanners

there are three forms of authentication and none of them are perfect. they include "something you know", "something you have", and finally "something you are". if you use only one of these methods then its fairly easy to bypass with some work. but if you use two or more it becomes much harder. this is the point of multi-factor authentication. for example google's multi--factor uses "something you know" and "something you have" while your idea uses only one. also all the authentication methods you have listed have well know vulnerability.

Only lately that I found myself confused by microsoft's previous move of encouraging windows OS (8x/10x) users to use Microsoft accounts instead of the old school local accounts.
local accounts can use complex passwords versus Microsoft accounts that can use complex passwords up to 16 characters versus Microsoft accounts that uses PIN (numeric) to login to avoid web-based attacks.

it is my opinion now that Microsoft should have strengthened and added Microsoft accounts to these local accounts instead of promoting an alternative but less secure Microsoft account login (either PIN or alphanumeric password).

Back