Bey Re: Portt forwarding from my router Home LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was just wnodering if someone could tell me how the router distinguishes beteen HTTP Request packets and Response packets, basically when I set up my router to port forward incoming traffic on port 80 directly to my comp on our internal home LAN, and what if I wanted to host a web site (XP Pro IIS5.1) on my other comp how would I set up the router???

help!!

It doesn't.. Routers don't know anything about data transfer protocols. Your router simply keeps track of TCP connections and doesn't give a damn whether the protocol inside the connection is HTTP or FTP or whatever.

In order to host a web server, all you have to do is to forward the web port.

I would look at apache server runs as stand alone and will not take up lots of resources
don't run it as a service??
your config will need the ip that your isp has you on do a ip lookup
you will need to open a port up or use no-ip type of service if your ip is not static enough
your address will look like this **.**.**.**:8080 <---thats the port I have used you can use others
if you one your own domain name
config apache for this to
and reg the ip with your domain name host I use network solutions
so now it will look like www.yourdomain.com:8080/

I find for hosting a web server with a dynamic IP that www.dyndns.org works like a charm. You will of course have to make sure port 8080 is open(or whatever port you use). However if you are using ICS (internet connection sharing) on LAN as i do some ports need to be opened twice etc which took me weeks to figure out. I can provide help for this if needed.

Ph30nix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back