TechSpot

BF2 cd key error

By silent111
Apr 29, 2006
  1. Hi,
    I currently have battlefield 2 installed on 2 computers (both with same cd key), I have resently been given a second cd key by someone who no longer plays the game so that I can have 2 pc's playing on same server, however after installing the game with the new cd key I try to access a server I keep getting an error message telling me that the cd key is invalid, I know this is not the case because its printed on the back of the book and my friend was using the key to play. I have also tried formatting the HDD and then reinstalling the game and I get the same error.
    Is it something to do with the registry?

Please help

2. Coolmatt

Coolmatt TS Rookie Posts: 141

Most likely it's the same case with a Windows XP computer where it detects the hardware for a computer when it submits the CD-Key.

But I'm not sure so let someone else give their opinion.

3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

I may be mistaken, but I believe the cd-key is also tied to the BF2 player account from which it was created.

You may need to create another, new BF2 account with the second CD-key/installation in order to use both in tandem at the same time.

I'd try this and see if it works. It's not a bad deal anyways since that first weapon unlock is an easy 1000 points. :)

4. chippy

chippy TS Rookie

I need help on the same thing.

Well, its not exactly the same but today i installed BF2 and had installed all the patches and everthing. I was ready to go. It went smoothly until i tried joing a server. The screen saying 'Joining Server' poped up and then there was an error. They said my cd was invalid. I read on another cite that i should re-install it. Now that I have uninstalled it it gets stuck when i put the second cd key in. It just stops. What should i do??? I just baught the game and was wondering what to do.

Thanks
    Chip

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.