BFG launches liquid-cooled Nvidia GPUs, modular PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

BFG is reaching out to gamers and PC enthusiasts this month with new products that promise speed and efficiency. First up is a pair of maintenance-free, self-contained liquid-cooled Nvidia GeForce graphics cards; the GTX 285 H2O+ and the GTX 295 H2OC. Both cards feature BFG’s new ThermoIntelligence Advance Cooling Solution, which in other words means you can enjoy the benefits of water cooling without the hassle of installing a custom solution.

The new cards have been developed together with CoolIT Systems, are easy to install right out of the box and never need refilling or additional components. They're also factory overclocked and can run using three different speed settings – Auto, Quiet, and Maximum – to control acoustics and performance. The benefit, according to BFG, is up to 30C cooler temps under load when pitted against standard air cooled models.

You can expect to pay dearly for these cards, though. BFG’s GTX 295 H2OC currently sells for $850 on Newegg and will be joined by the GTX 285 H2O+ tomorrow at a still unknown price.

The company also announced the EX-1000 recently, a 1,000 watt modular power supply certified with the 80 PLUS Bronze rating, which indicates an efficiency of 80% or greater under real-world loads. The EX-1000 comes with a lifetime warranty, 24/7 tech support and is available now exclusively at Best Buy for $199.99.

Permalink to story.

$850, in my opinion, isn't a whole lot of money for this card, especially as a starting price. Sweet stuff

It's an extra $300 premium... I wouldn't call that cheap. That's like an extra GTX285. ;)

Compared to traditional, hand-made liquid cooling setups, temps are a lot worse.
Also, the "up to 30C cooler temps under load" can be very easily attributed to high-end air coolers as well.

People seem to have a pretty skewed view about water cooling, saying that it's the only way to have low temps. There are many articles on the internet that show this is nothing more than an "urban myth". Today's performance air coolers can even outperform water cooling systems, especially these enclosed water cycles systems.

Some might say water cooling is dead silent. For those people, I should remind them you still need air coolers for the radiators and that the pump and water, especially with a high waterflow pump, make some noise too. You also need a truck-load more space for this kind of cooling.

For people truly looking for very low temps, try TEC or Peltier cooling.

Eww... is it me or is that too much space consumed for graphics processing? I'm glad I don't game much these days.

http://www.frozencpu.com/

Well, start with the card, say a GTX285, around $350. The water block would be about $150, the tubes would be barely $10 along with the small fittings, and the pump is like $50. This is like what, $600? Sure, you gotta make effort and work to get it together, but for me that's where most of the fun comes from. And I'm pretty sure I'll get better results since the pump and radiator would most likely be stronger and bigger. I could also add a small tank for extra liquid and better cooling for barely $10. Even though this isn't the ONLY website out there with this kinda stuff, I'm sure you can shave off even more money if you look at ebay or craigslist.

As BlindObject mentioned the GTX 285 standard card (from Newegg) is arount $350. I'm not sure how they think people are going to pay $500 extra just to cool it when they could easily make their own! That's my plan and save some money that could be easily thrown into some nice new Corsair Dominator GT ram..... WITH the liquid cooling system!
A slight ripoff to say the least but an overall good concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back