BIG problem upgrading to Windows 2000 Professional. Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

technix

My friend gave me his Windows 2000 Professional CD so I can install it on my computer, which is running Windows 98 SE at the moment. He needed the CD back immediately, and I couldn't install it at that moment, so I copied the installation files to my HDD and tried installing it the next day. Everything goes fine, until it finishes copying the Installation files. As soon as it hit 100%, my computer monitor goes blank, and the power light starts flashing with the green and orange lights. I also think my HDD turns off because I can't hear it and it's LED light doesnt flash. I tried pressing some keys, and only the Return key turns on the monitor, but it's all blank, and the HDD is still supposedly off. I've tried re-installing it, but I still get the same problem.

I thought that I would call him later. I went to my C:\ folder and I saw two folders which aren't usually there. their names are:

$win_nt$.~bt
$win_nt$.~ls

I opened the first folder and I saw 104 files, with these extensions:

.bin
.dl_
.nl_
.sy_
.hiv
.fo_

Theres also a sub-folder called system32 which has a file in it called smss.exe.

The other folder, $win_nt$.~ls, has one file called Size.sif and a sub-folder called i186. In this sub-folder, it has 3,864 files with the same file extensions as listed above. I saw a text file called eula, I opened it , and the title was:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Licensed Copies: 1 with lots of user agreements and stuff. This is how I know that these folders are related to Windows 2000.

I'm really frustratedand don't know what to do, so all your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Technix.

Those $-directories you see are 2k's temporary installation directories, nothing to be worried about.
That sounds like your computer goes to stand-by mode instead of rebooting. Are you trying to upgrade 98?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
That sounds like your computer goes to stand-by mode instead of rebooting. Are you trying to upgrade 98?

Are you running setup from W98, or from DOS?

I've never had any trouble installing w2k from the cab files, though I've never tried to upgrade to it... allways a fresh install....

So if you'd care to elaborate a bit more, maybe we can help... (as it is now, I feel we're missing some info...)

Mictlantecuhtli: Yes, I'm trying to upgrade Win98SE to Win2000 Professional.

MrGaribaldi: I'm running setup from Win98.

Phantasm66: I looked all over my BIOS for that option, but I can't see it anywhere.... I have AwardBIOS Phoenix SofMenu III, if that helps.

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q224826:
Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers
The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Summary
This article describes how to troubleshoot problems (such as the computer not responding, or hanging) during the text-mode portion of Setup on ACPI-based computers.
More Information
Following the steps below may help to solve many of these problems. An Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) computer builds a table of devices that it supplies to the operating system. This table provides everything the computer needs to know about the resource needs and power management capabilities of the hardware in the computer. Inaccuracies in this table are the primary cause of hardware problems in Windows 2000. Mixing legacy (manually configured or ISA) devices with PCI devices accounts for the second most common cause of problems. ACPI builds a collection of tables containing information about the resource usage and power management capabilities of the devices in your computer. It then loads the device drivers for all devices and uses those detected. Based on this information, the following troubleshooting steps may help in troubleshooting hangs during the text-mode portion of Setup.

1. Verify that that your computer is listed on the ACPI portion of the HCL for Windows 2000.
2. If ACPI does not install on its own, do not force it. A host of reasons contribute to this. It may be on the known bad ACPI BIOS list. Forcing it to install deliberately introduces the instabilities that have caused the computer to be placed on the list to begin with. It may not be responding properly to the Computer Control Interrupt enable call among other reasons. In that case, a hang when forcing the installation when it is not properly responding to ACPI configuration calls is to be expected.
3. Verify that you have the most recent ACPI BIOS as supplied by your computer manufacturer.
4. If it will not install with ACPI enabled, disable ACPI support in the computer BIOS (if possible) and try to install then.
5. Remove absolutely all non-essential hardware and attempt to install again.
6. If you have a mix of ISA and PCI devices, remove the ISA devices (if possible) until after installation. The PCI bus has no reliable way of knowing of the resource settings of ISA devices. This means that it is possible for device conflicts to occur because of the lack of communication between the two bus types. Remove the ISA devices, then verify their settings against the computer's current resource usage. If possible, manually configure the ISA device to an unused resource configuration.
7. If removing the ISA device until after Setup is finished is not feasible, check the computer BIOS to determine if it is possible to manually reserve the resources used by the ISA device (set to "Used by ISA" or "reserved for ISA").
8. Another option is to globally disable the installation of ACPI by altering the Txtsetup.sif file in the following manner:
; not in the GoodACPIBios list. If a BIOS has a date greater
: than this and is not in the BadACPIBios list, then it will
; be used unless ACPIEnable = 0
;
[ACPIOptions]
ACPIEnable = 0 (Change this from 2 to 0)
ACPIBiosDate = 01,01,1999

[BadACPIBios]

[GoodACPIBios]
AcerAspire2100=AcerAspire2100
AcerAspire3000 = AcerAspire3000 It would be better to remove ACPI support in the BIOS if that option is available. This prevents devices expecting the ability for the operating system to write back configuration information from not succeeding. For additional information about the Txtsetup.sif file, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q216573 How Windows 2000 Determines ACPI Compatibility
9. Avoid assigning IRQ 9 to legacy devices. ACPI uses this IRQ for PCI IRQ steering and this too can cause computer hangs during text-mode Setup. If the device cannot use any other interrupt, try to reserve the device interrupt in the computer BIOS as noted in step 7 above.

Also, you can press F7 during the portion of setup that displays the message to press F6 for adding SCSI drivers. This configures Setup to not try ACPI machine types. By doing so, you are not required to edit a file.

It's probably a problem with ACPI. I'd try installing Windows 2000 with ACPI turned OFF in the BIOS. This is especailly possible with older systems.

Rick.....I couldn't find the ACPI mode on the BIOS to turn off

Mictlantecuhtli...to be honest I dont understand anything you said :confused: sorry to be such a newbie :(

No problem. I think Win2k has a 'compatibility test' which you can run before upgrading to see which devices/apps won't work correctly. Have you tried that?
Also, I would try disabling all power management things from 98SE - they're in Control Panel.

I don't think you can do it that way. If you have a CD burner and still have the image on your HD you can create a bootable Win2k disk , slipstream in SP3 and disable the need to enter a SN on setup....

I'm not sure of the exact link I used, I think this is it....

http://www.bink.nu/bootcd/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back