Big problem with AMD GPU drivers

G

g4mer

I downloaded the latest GPU drivers to update my ASUS laptop unfortunately running AMD graphic card. Model is HD7470M 1GB running W7 64bit Ulti. After the installation after booting into Windows everything was black like the brightness was 1% or something. I could see, but barely. I used my phones flash to lighten the screen and so I uninstalled drivers and everything got back to normal but I had no drivers.
So I downloaded newest drivers (2011) drivers from ASUS, their drivers always worked. After rebooting I was shocked to see that colors were all messed up. Like it's running on 8Bits or even less. I managed to uninstall those drivers and after reboot everything was fine but again I needed drivers. I used Driver Sweeper to clean AMD Display bs and then installed ASUS drivers I previously downloaded, but I got 8bit screen again.
Now Im running without graphic drivers but I need them and I dont know what to do since every AMD driver has some kind of error. Please tell me what the hell am I supposed to do?

Well, the driver update most likely changed the resolution to something really low. Go to AMDs website and download 12.10, which is the latest stable driver (12.11 is coming out soon (in a matter of days) and is much improved if you play games). Install it and reboot. After you log in, right click on the desktop and hit "Screen Resolution". Under where it says "Resolution:", set it to the highest (recommended) resolution. You should be good to go. If this doesnt work, go to the AMD control panel and restore factory defaults. I hope this helps. Good luck.

X54HR is the model (7470M, 4GB 1333Mhz, i3 2350M). And by the way I can't find a way to download 12.10 drivers becuase it seems AMD won't let me download manually. First I have to download their shitty verification tool which doesn't detect my GPU and I can't continue from there.

Because this is a laptop, you have to use the mobile ATI driver from the ASUS support website. Windows may update the driver using Windows Update. Have you applied all the Windows Updates, including all the optional updates?

Because this is a laptop, you have to use the mobile ATI driver from the ASUS support website. Windows may update the driver using Windows Update. Have you applied all the Windows Updates, including all the optional updates?
Yes I have all the Windows Updates installed, there is no driver for AMD though. ASUS has some last year drivers and that's why I wanted to update in the first place.

Lenovo. It is odd since ASUS allows the drivers straight from AMD. The driver 12.10 supports all 7000m cards, this is quite odd.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Download this, it doesnt contain the verification tool so you should be fine
After installing it my Driver Packaging Version was the same, it's 8.901... but as far as I know it should be 9.002. AMD Catalyst version is also the same, 2011.0927. Think it should be 2012 something, right? It's really odd, anyway thanks for the link :)

I wiped drivers completely with safe mode and driver sweeper, then uninstalled device drivers in device manager. Now I tried to install fresh 12.10 but in custom options there is no Display Driver to be installed...wierd. Looks like I can't get them after all...

The AMD Catalyst software suite 12.10 contains the following:
  • AMD display driver version 9.002
This is very odd.

The AMD Catalyst software suite 12.10 contains the following:
  • AMD display driver version 9.002
This is very odd.

It's not very odd considering that these drivers are developed by AMD. It is my last time I will buy something from them or something with AMD GPU/CPU in it.

After installing it my Driver Packaging Version was the same, it's 8.901... but as far as I know it should be 9.002. AMD Catalyst version is also the same, 2011.0927. Think it should be 2012 something, right? It's really odd, anyway thanks for the link :)
Mine is 8.982 and I am currently running 12.8. I am waiting on 12.11.

Your brightness is just really low... just increase it using the keyboard. (fn+something). If this doesnt work then go to Catalyst control center and restore factory defaults. If that doesnt work, try going to Power> Power Play>Make sure it says "Battery: Maximize Battery life", and under plugged in, make sure it says "Maximum performance". This is most likely the issue

Your brightness is just really low... just increase it using the keyboard. (fn+something). If this doesnt work then go to Catalyst control center and restore factory defaults. If that doesnt work, try going to Power> Power Play>Make sure it says "Battery: Maximize Battery life", and under plugged in, make sure it says "Maximum performance". This is most likely the issue
I also though that brightness was low but Fn+brightness didn't do anything. Also tried Fn+LCD OFF, ON but it just doesn't respond. Then I tried changing brightness in battery options and it didn't work, and that stuff you mentioned in catalyst also didn't work... :( I'm probably gonna wait for next driver to come in hope that it will work.

Good luck man, I think you should go the mobile download page I sent (not the desktop one) (sorry I am on my phone) and in the top right, next to the download, it gives you the option to report mobility driver issues, report the issue, it may take 5 min since you have to name steps so they can reproduce if.

Good luck man, I think you should go the mobile download page I sent (not the desktop one) (sorry I am on my phone) and in the top right, next to the download, it gives you the option to report mobility driver issues, report the issue, it may take 5 min since you have to name steps so they can reproduce if.
I reported my problem as soon as I noticed it because I couldn't find the solution. It was about a week ago and I didn't get any responses.

Here is the link where I've been
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F3E

This is really odd... Laptop video usually works or it doesn't, no in-between. I'm still guessing that this is caused by a failure of the video chip on the motherboard

I doubt that it has to do anything with hardware since it works with ASUS' drivers...and It doesn't give me any problems while playing games and doing other stuff...

Back