Big problem?

someone deleted my windows xp from my advent 1770 laptop. it came up a black screen saying there was an error and that id no windows.. so i tried loading windows millennium on to it. a really old disk it worked fine until it asked me for the product key which i cant find and since it was never on the laptop or any other comp in the house so I've absolutely no way of getting the key any way i can go back to the start like deleting it from my laptop to try again with a cd i have the key off please please help me

You can't just undo the changes already made during the Windows Millenium installation, but you can insert the new disk your refering to, and do another fresh installation.

Insert the new disk, reboot the laptop and press any key to enter into Windows setup like you normally would. Just make sure you choose to format your hard drive so you get a clean install.

oh thanks for that leeky now another quic question any idea where i'll get a new disk from like download it somewhere free or do i have to buy a new one ?? thanks

Microsoft software is licensed software, so must be purchased. You need the genuine disk, and a genuine product key. If your able to download it for free online its most likely a) illegal and b) could contain bad malware etc so your best purchasing it some somewhere that sells it officially.

You will however, struggle to find anywhere selling new copies of Windows Millenium these days though.

What did the laptop come with when ti was new?
What operating system is listed on the label on the underside of the laptop?

oh i see thanks for that! i wont be buy a millennium addition as its crap it was just to have anything on the comp so it would work but i'd go for something better buying it

im not sure what your askin for but it says on the stickers
Designed for windows xp
Windows vista capable

Intel inside
mobile tech

and the stickers underneath say

Windows XP media centre edition 2005
DSG Retail Limited

erm model 7710
model no. EAA-88

Windows XP media centre edition 2005
DSG Retail Limited

That's the kiddy. :)

So it came with Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition. It means you can safely assume that Windows XP can run on your laptop.

Its possible you can phone your laptops manufacturer and get a genuine replacement CD for your laptop that will work with the product key written next to the Windows XP text.

P.S. If its a PC World/Currys/Dixon etc UK supplied laptop, you should be able to go and see them and order the new Windows CD. It'll cost, but your guaranteed a genuine CD that will work with your product key.

DSG laptop?

Before you buy anything, as your PC was pre-installed with XP media center edition, it's possible it's still there in the recovery partition. When you boot PC, do you see on screen
"press F? to restore". If not press F8 , see if you can see 'Advanced options'.
If you can see 'repair computer' or something similar, try that.
Not sure if you know, PC's bought from a dealer, have the Operating system installed twice, the 'hidden' version is copied over onto the main partition, and that's the one you use. The hidden OS is not used and unless you have deleted that partition it should be still there, waiting to 'restore' from.

Before you buy anything, as your PC was pre-installed with XP media center edition, it's possible it's still there in the recovery partition. When you boot PC, do you see on screen
"press F? to restore". If not press F8 , see if you can see 'Advanced options'.
If you can see 'repair computer' or something similar, try that.
Not sure if you know, PC's bought from a dealer, have the Operating system installed twice, the 'hidden' version is copied over onto the main partition, and that's the one you use. The hidden OS is not used and unless you have deleted that partition it should be still there, waiting to 'restore' from.

Thats a very good point worth checking out.

Though I'll be pleasantly surprised if it wasn't deleted during the Windows Millenium installation.

Back