Bill Gates discusses Steve Ballmer's leadership role, mobile mistake

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bill Gates recently sat down for an interview with CBS’ Charlie Rose to discuss a number of topics ranging from his life after stepping down from his day-to-day activities at Microsoft almost five years ago to his work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. But perhaps most interesting of all was his opinion on Microsoft’s entry into the mobile industry and how his successor has done since his departure.

When asked if he was happy with Ballmer’s performance at CEO, Gates said he and Ballmer were two of the most self-critical people and there were a lot of amazing things that Ballmer’s leadership accomplished with Microsoft during the last year. Gates specifically mentioned Windows 8, Surface tablets and Bing as being key to the future but ultimately, he said it isn’t enough.

bill gates microsoft mobile

Gates said the two were not satisfied that they have done enough in terms of technological breakthroughs. Looking back, he pointed out that cell phones were one of the things that Microsoft didn’t get out in the lead early on.

He said they didn’t “miss” phones but the way they went about it didn’t allow them to take the lead. When probed to elaborate further, Gates said it was too complicated to discuss but affirmed that it was a clear mistake on their part.

If you recall, Gates stepped down as CEO of Microsoft in January 2000 and established the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation later that year. His last full-time day at Microsoft was June 27, 2008 although he remains with the company he found as a non-executive chairman.

Permalink to story.

Every version of windows has been dumbed down more and more since the fantastic Windows 2000.

Window 8 if you don't resort to a hack is probably fine if you want to just do a few dedicated tasks but is a mess if you want to delve into the OS.

The ideal modern windows pc would be delivered set up with no prospect of any addition of software or hardware, then if that suited, you would be happy,

Every version of windows has been dumbed down more and more since the fantastic Windows 2000.

Window 8 if you don't resort to a hack is probably fine if you want to just do a few dedicated tasks but is a mess if you want to delve into the OS.

The ideal modern windows pc would be delivered set up with no prospect of any addition of software or hardware, then if that suited, you would be happy,

Windows 7 > 2000

I want to know if Mr. Gates dyes his hair. Just For Men or no? That's the real question!!!

#BitStreamUnderGround

MS think they understand user communities after they give their management the tittle. Windows 8 is just a product of those tittles. Windows 8 is not what user communities are trying to accomplish. Wearing uniforms like those Apple and Chinese sellers trying to push is not modern technologies. Company Shop sites are not real close combats among these companies that they actually need. Company Shop sites provide blinded stupid spots hiding their real needs to compete. Suing each other for those stupid patent law languages are fooling themselves only. Expensive lawyers honestly love it.

Windows
NT 4.0 ....Flop!
NT 5.0 .....Flop! "Windows 2000"
NT 5.1 .....With SP3 Was a Best Seller! "XP 32-bit"
NT 5.2 .....With SP2 MS first 64-bit OS was very good! "XP 64-bit"

NT 6.0 .....Flop! "Windows Vista"
NT 6.1 .....With SP2 Was a Best Seller! "Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit"
NT 6.2 .....With SP1 Blue could be best seller? MS first hybrid UI "Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit"

NT 7.0 ......Hybrid Intel 64/ARMv8 "Windows 9?"

Love Windows 7. Love 8 even more... I just wish I had the dough to buy a touchscreen monitor. Ballmer is a go-getter, and isn't shy. I like that. He's no-nonsense. He and Gates should be taking to the stage together. They balance each other out.

Windows 7 > 2000
I never said that, I like windows 7, I am fine with windows 8 with some tweaking (startisback)

What I am saying is it's dumbed down. It started with XP
For example go into the the control panel and with the default view you get group options where you are treated like an dumb fool.

The problem with Microsoft is too much money and too many people with their oar in the UI, its become a complicated mess

The default windows 8 setup has had one of my customers on the verge of depression and others very confused.

Windows
NT 6.1 .....With SP2 Was a Best Seller! "Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit"

There's no SP2 in 6.1. And I'm with Hellion, how can you said that a system with 4 service packs is better than one with just one and lot less updates needed and security holes found on it. Windows 2000 was just the first iteration of a decent Windows for consumer, because the way Windows 9x was designed it had no future; and most of the problems carried to these days are because of the bad design of Windows 9x, starting by the register.

Windows 7 was doing well until they got lazy on development trying to focus on the tablet market and doing basicly the same system interface for the entire Microsoft environment (XBOX, phone, tablet, PC) which unifies the experience for users familiar with any of those mentioned but not necessarily improving the usabilty in the whole environment -4 months using Windows 8 and never got comfortable with the nuisance "Modern UI" the way it was out of the box until I drop it when I couldn't get to run some development software in college and none of my classmastes, we all went back to Windows 7 -well, I just deleted the partition where I had W8, never got rid of W7.

I never said that, I like windows 7, I am fine with windows 8 with some tweaking (startisback)

What I am saying is it's dumbed down. It started with XP
For example go into the the control panel and with the default view you get group options where you are treated like an dumb fool.

The problem with Microsoft is too much money and too many people with their oar in the UI, its become a complicated mess

The default windows 8 setup has had one of my customers on the verge of depression and others very confused.

On the verge of depression? hahaha

I've got three words - fail, fail, fail. Microsoft was Bill Gates as Apple was Steve Jobs. Now watch Apple fail too.

I think it's impossible to get an objective statement from Bill Gates when it comes to anything Microsoft. The worst thing he said was, "we should have jumped on the cell phone thing earlier." That's the extent of his "criticism." Otherwise, everything's hugs and roses.

Comments like yours always irk me.

Yes, Windows 8 came with a little friend called Metro that everyone loves to hate on. But taking that away and giving you back your beloved Stat Button (which, as you said, you could get with a mod), then literally both Windows 8 and 7 would be indistinguishable.

I'm not arguing the ethics of MS' decision to remove the Button, or telling you why should people get StartIsBack. That's another discussion.

But when you say that when you "delve" into the OS it'll be a mess, I can't help but call BS.

Love Windows 7. Love 8 even more... I just wish I had the dough to buy a touchscreen monitor. Ballmer is a go-getter, and isn't shy. I like that. He's no-nonsense. He and Gates should be taking to the stage together. They balance each other out.
They do indeed balance one another out, it's reminiscent of Laurel and Hardy, or George Burns and Gracie Allen. Should I go on? Thanks, I will.

They make a cute couple. They complete one another. They share the spotlight..

If Bill says, "I want to be a**hole today", Ballmer will reply, "go right ahead, I'll be your assistant, but don't forget, I get to be the a**hole tomorrow" ;)!

laurel-and-hardy.jpg

Oops, looks like a glitch in the touch screen implementation..^:eek: ^!

But taking that away and giving you back your beloved Stat Button (which, as you said, you could get with a mod), then literally both Windows 8 and 7 would be indistinguishable.

The hated Metro UI replaces far more elements of the classic Windows UI than just the Start Button Menu.

Control panels, program settings, and even entire applications have begun being presented with the obnoxious Metro UI. The Metro UI is not an efficient use of desktop space when most of and/or your entire screen is taken over by it. The mixture of control schemes is also an unintuitive confusing mess for both novice and advanced users alike. This is a clear step back from the simple practicality and versatility of the classic Windows UI.

Applying a mod to restore the Start Button Menu does nothing to remove the Metro UI from wherever else it may pop up.

I think no matter what the OS is, it becomes more and more irrelevant as such.
Where do you spend most of the time? Managing local files? Installing programs? Writing documents?
You are on twitter, browsing, playing, authoring Excel/Text and for all that there is no need for the OS at all.

Why most of you are so judgemental? His company's contribution since early 90's in technology, is responsible enough, more than the most individual companies, for economic, scientfic and social growth - since almost everybody used and still uses theirs product. Pay some respect by not trashing him every once in a while there is something about Microsoft you don't like. If you 're right though, don't act like a child.

These tasks you do maybe at home, but windows is a typical corporate OS. People do CAD, programming, accounting, ERP, GIS, planning, and the myriads of unnamed small softwares for anything.

These tasks you do maybe at home, but windows is a typical corporate OS. People do CAD, programming, accounting, ERP, GIS, planning, and the myriads of unnamed small softwares for anything.
All these services are already in the Cloud, and if something is not, can and should be easily put in there.
OS, thus must become a SaaS - this way it is cheaper, no antivirus to run, no patching, no hardware issues.
If corporations embraced outsourcing, moving to the Cloud is even more natural.

All these services are already in the Cloud, and if something is not, can and should be easily put in there.
OS, thus must become a SaaS - this way it is cheaper, no antivirus to run, no patching, no hardware issues.

you must looooove chromebooks...

I have none at the moment, but they make a lot of sense naturally, they are also cheap and come with a keyboard + the possibility to accept most external media. I do not understand why the market reaction is so weak, is it just the hype to own an Apple product?

Well, you're cleared for take off, the sky's the limit, see ya....

Should we sing....? "Off we go, into the wild blue yonder......" (Gosh, it feels like I just joined the Air Force).

you must looooove chromebooks...

Lol I love when people mention the cloud which is just dumb down marketing term for storing your data online.

When everyone has fibre to their homes it will become something I may considering.

Until then I'm keeping all my data local thanks.

Lol I love when people mention the cloud which is just dumb down marketing term for storing your data online.

When everyone has fibre to their homes it will become something I may considering.

Until then I'm keeping all my data local thanks.
Right on! Yeah, no "cloud" for me either! I keep my precious "fine art photography" on an offline computer.Those damned Chinese are never infecting it, or getting it, unless they pry it from my hot, wet, fapping, hands....

(But, I always fear they'll try to trick me out of it by sending me a lissome young girl in a Chinese army uniform, offering to give me a free massage. Is that irrational)?.....;)

Good riddance Micro$oft. Bill Gates is trying to re-make his image as a philanthropist. The guy is ruthless and evil.

Back