TechSpot

Bill Gates is once again the richest person in the world

By Shawn Knight
May 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Bill Gates is once again the richest man in the world thanks to the recent success of the company he helped create. The 57-year-old Microsoft co-founder surpassed Mexican investor Carlos Slim yesterday to reclaim the title according to the Blooomberg...

Read more

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

... aaaand finally there's order in the Universe once more.

avoidz, DanUK, Zeromus and 3 others like this.
  3. Did the oil sheik die ?

4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Congrats bill..
    :)

5. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,085   +66 Staff Member

That's amazing... he can't get rid of his money fast enough.

SalaSSin, DanUK, coppersloane and 4 others like this.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,085   +715

Yeah, if there's one guy who has proven he can put a fortune to good use it's Bill Gates.

spectrenad and VitalyT like this.
  7. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

Maybe if "good use" in your mind is using a lot of his funds for paralyzing kids in the third world(bill and melinda gates foundation) by now over 50k successfully paralyzed and protecting monsanto so he can poison the worlds food supply;meanwhile he won't even take a bite of the stuff they create. So if you a very evil person then yes;he is putting his fortune to very good use. Don't believe me; LOOK IT UP p.s.use your own discretion not cnns not msnbcs not fox or any other globalist fronts discretion

8. Ravik

Ravik TS Rookie Posts: 44   +8

Forget what Bill Gates does with his money--what have you done with your money to help others in need? Generosity isn't achieved vicariously...

Just saying. :)

9. Here's a video on Bill Gates on YouTube that's pretty interesting. If you can add two numbers together you can see that there's more going on than meets the eye. What's the real purpose behind all of these vaccinations?

10. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

What about the six million lives he saved?

11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 971   +97

12. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

I'll reserve my extended comment until you post what you've donated to help the world, oh wait.

DanUK and LukeDJ like this.
  13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,664   +86

I should have invested with him back in the day before what they have today!

14. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,828   +546

I could only suggest to Bill that he spends a small part of his fortune to create incentive for other world's richest to do as he does. For example, Bill should be ashamed to even stand next to Carlos Slim as he did before, because Carlos Slim while next richest to Bill, also the world's greediest, who sucks out of people all over the world and gives nothing back. Slim was listed the world's richest for the longest, while donating measly 3bl. to charity, that's nothing short of telling the world to f.off, especially considering that he got it all out of a developing country, with 17% below poverty. Somebody needs to teach a lesson to such people.

spencer likes this.
  15. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Him & his wife are the biggest charity givers in the world. Not a surprise. What you sow, that you will reap.

DanUK likes this.
  16. VitalyT

That's a known fact. But the saying is "You reap what you sow" ;) Though I don't see relevance either way in this case. These people give after they were given, while the saying is for people who get rewarded after they have given much to others, and not the other way round. It's like saying - give me a billion dollars, and I will be happy to spend the rest of my life as a philanthropist - it is the right thing to do, hands down, just not any near as noble as giving while you have almost nothing for yourself. To put it differently, the saying implies that one should give to others more than he leaves for himself, that which defines the act of true generosity.

spencer likes this.
  17. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 863   +225

I've always wanted to write him a letter requesting 40k so I can go upgrade my summer car from my 95 Z28 to a 2014 Mustang GT.

18. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

You're arguing semantics. Jobs was also a billionaire, didn't give the smallest fraction of what the Gates gave. Besides, I was quoting actual scripture(original source). Thanks for weighing in though.

Edit: He reached rank again. He's reaping much more wealth & status. On the contrary, my point is quite relevant.

19. VitalyT

It is never too late. Just ask for one painted green, so people may think of you as a true supporter of environment, never mind its 309 gram of CO2.

20. 63Jax

63Jax TS Rookie Posts: 65

Go Billy!!!

21. VitalyT

Steve Jobs was an inventor 100 times worth that of Bill Gates, that which in itself buys him much forgiveness, and the word was that he was joining the charity camp, just didn't make it because of his health, so I wouldn't use him for a comparison.

22. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 439   +76

I'm sorry what?
    http://9gag.com/gag/5195630
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0

Also a lot of jealousy and hate in this thread, I say good on Bill. He made lots of money in a moderately decent way without taking advantage of people etc and hes using it for more than gold plated cars and crap like some other rich folk.

23. HumbleDav

HumbleDav TS Rookie

New technology is the way to be rich.....

24. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

As I am a Christan I will not boast about such things, I believe it's not how much you give but how much you will give up so others can prosper or in other words bill gates has billions of dollars so 28million to splice dna and kill kids is pennies to him. But for me I get like 2 grand a year (cause I'm still a kid) so for me to donate just 1$ is like bill gates giving up a 100 million dollars. But this has made me thought, we all need to do more to help the world instead of just being selfish. Irony, idolizing people that want you dead lol

25. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 182   +39

Consider Carnegie. True philanthropy changes the world. Thanks, Mr. Bill!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.