Bill Gates talks about his family life, philanthropy and more

By Jos
Jun 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Bill Gates is not known for giving out many interviews, but the founder and former CEO of Microsoft recently sat down with Caroline Graham from U.K.'s Daily Mail to promoteā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. Much respect for Bill Gates.

BTW, the first thing I thought when I heard the name "Priscilla Chan" was the Hong Kong singer...whew.
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

The most admirable thing really is that he's just quietly giving away his money without seeking publicity or praise for himself.
  4. Although I don't think cynically of his charitable work or anything, which I'm fairly sure he does out of genuine altruism, I'm not particularly impressed either. It's easy to give away money and time when you're a semi-retired billionaire. I have much more respect for people already working 40+ hour weeks in low to medium income occupations who then give up money or time to volunteer as well. People like that go unnoticed, whilst self-serving and obnoxious celebrities who co-opt charity for publicity (e.g. Bono) are praised and put on the cover of Time Magazine.
  5. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Indeed. I've volunteered at homeless shelters with people who were nearly homeless themselves. Despite living paycheck to paycheck in a run down apartment, they still find the time to donate their services to helping those who are less fortunate than them. These people get up, go to work, go volunteer, then go home and go to bed...and nobody knows about them...they are a nobody in society...makes me sad.

Don't get me wrong, i'm always glad to hear about celebs and rich people donating and doing charities, and i'm glad Bill has been doing that instead of being stingy, but the little people need the notice and respect as well.

Good on ya, Bill. Glad to hear he's being a parent and making his kids go to school and work for their money. Teaching them good values. You've got my respect, good sir.
  6. I praise them all, and I thank them for their kindness to others.
  7. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

Hmm...Normal? I wish i got to 'pick' the job i liked. (Angelina Jolie's personal underwear manager springs to mind)
  8. Is the love fest for Gates over?
    The fact that he keeps making billions, should indicate how overpriced Microsoft products really are.
    He should give money to every person that ever "registered" a product with Microsoft.
  9. Dr. M.M. Sreemivasan
    [​IMG]
    May 29, 2012 @ 7:19 pm
    For the information of every human being. All the wealth, pomp and power one enjoy in this life is a great testing period. This life is only a period to prepare oneself for birthing into the next real spiritual world. It will happen! Do do not be afraid of death. Be afraid whether you are prepared to inevitably enter the next world; just as the child entering this world must be prepared with body faculties while still developing in the womb-world of the mother.
    I will be in San Diego USA in June 2012. Is there any other option for anyone but to try to meet me to know about such an important TRUTH that promises eternal JOY?
    Love
    Dr. M.M. Sreenivasan

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.