Bing loses search market share to Google despite ChatGPT integration

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In context: Google retains a commanding lead over its competitors as the world's most popular search engine despite a myriad of privacy-related controversies, multiple antitrust investigations, and other issues. As of October 2023, the company reportedly had an 88.07 percent market share in the US, which is higher than the 86.75 percent share it had during the same period last year.

The report comes from StatCounter, which suggests Bing remains the second-most popular search engine with a 6.89 percent market share, while Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, and AOL languish at the bottom. The situation is even more skewed globally, with Google commanding a 91.55 percent market share in October 2023, while Bing could only muster 3.11 percent. Microsoft's search engine had a 3.59 percent market share during October 2022, meaning it slipped further over the past twelve months.

Bing's market share remains unimpressive despite the integration of ChatGPT, which was supposed to challenge Google's dominance in search for the first time in more than two decades. Microsoft's partnership with OpenAI sent shock waves through Google and hammered its stock prices, but as it turns out, doomsday predictions about the ChatGPT-Bing partnership eating into Google's market share were highly overblown.

According to the data, Bing's market share actually reduced over the past twelve months globally as well as in the US, where it dipped from 7.4 percent to 6.89 percent between October 2022 and October 2023. If the data is anything to go by, not only is Bing failing to eat Google's lunch, it is actually losing market share despite its AI smarts.

Ever since the public release of ChatGPT last year, Microsoft has integrated it into many of its products and services. Recently, the company introduced Windows Copilot, which resides as a button on the Windows 11 Taskbar, and clicking on it enables Bing Chat, allowing users to ask questions and initiate commands. However, media reports suggest that it is far from the polished product that Microsoft would have you believe.

Given the current state of Bing Chat, it is unlikely that it will be able to snatch away market share from Google any time soon, and with Google's own Bard AI expected to catch up to ChatGPT sooner rather than later, it is likely to remain the search leader globally for the foreseeable future.

Permalink to story.

It’s easier than ever to switch away from Google, yet the masses don’t.

The sad part is that people don't care if they are being spied on by their search provider...... But if they knew they were being manipulated by a search engine catering search results to push any agenda that the advertisers wanted they would lose their minds.

What I've learned from all of this is people don't mind being watched but they don't like being lied too. Too bad they will likely never know half of these search engines cater results like that.

ChatGPT is no attraction to Bing for me. In fact, I've blocked all the ChatGPT elements I can using uBlock Origin's element hiding helper.

However, IMO, Google is even worse.

The sad part is that people don't care if they are being spied on by their search provider...... But if they knew they were being manipulated by a search engine catering search results to push any agenda that the advertisers wanted they would lose their minds.

What I've learned from all of this is people don't mind being watched but they don't like being lied too. Too bad they will likely never know half of these search engines cater results like that.
They wouldnt though. It's well known that Google has biases, and has censored things for political reasons before. Yet people still didnt move.

It's public knowledge that google is screwing with search results to push more ads, or use AI to hide naughty things, yet they still dont move.

The reason the NPC meme received so much pushback and flak is because its true. Before that, they were sheep, or lemmings. You could lead most users straight into the virtual slaughterhouse and none of them would so much as moo before the doors shut behind them.

I still use google because bing search result is almost always laughable.

but I must admit there's tons of clickbait-y results in the first 2 pages of google search results within the last few years. so my second search engine is actually reddit. when you're troubleshooting PCs, be it software issue, BSOD, graphics driver issue, game issue, etc trust me when I said the first search result is filled with clickbait articles.

to think that I found this very website from a google search during PC troubleshooting 16 years ago. that will never happen again.

Bing is legitimately miles better than Google. It's long past time to call it: Google has an unbreakable monopoly and it literally does not matter how much better alternatives are in various forms, such as quality of results, quantity of ads, privacy, AI features...it doesn't matter because people always stick with the default.

Most people will just use the default option and never change.
That is why Google pays billions to have Google Search be the default of many browsers. Even on iOS.
And the funny thing is, some people will argue that google is not monopoly and it is enough to create a good product...:)
Same with aple store, mobile devices and so on...
Better product and trillions for lobbists, lawyers and to pay big fishes to use this product...
Pretty simple...

Bing is legitimately miles better than Google. It's long past time to call it: Google has an unbreakable monopoly and it literally does not matter how much better alternatives are in various forms, such as quality of results, quantity of ads, privacy, AI features...it doesn't matter because people always stick with the default.

We're obviously not using the same Bing. A year ago, I could search anything on Bing and get more or less what I wanted but at least the results were not censored. Now, when I do a search, "AI" is kind enough to recognize that what I typed was not really what I wanted, and give me the results for what it "thinks" I wanted. Specific, technical searches are going the way of the dinosaurs.

How so? Please explain to me why Bing is better. Serious question.

What are you people talking about?

The StatCounter graph shows a definitve increase in market share of Bing in the last 6-7 months, since the introduction of Bing Chat.

Also StatCounter can't possibly have any clue of how many people are actually using Bing
AND
Bing Chat (like Bard) by definition decreases the number of website interaction people will have, because the answer is given by the AI, elminiating the need to visit any possible source website (even if marked) in many instances.

I mean you really need to stop taking StatCounter press releases seriously, because they're clueless beyond reason, and are only releasing nonsensical statments to boost their brand.

How so? Please explain to me why Bing is better. Serious question.
For my searches, I've always gotten better results than Google in the past few years, especially when doing troubleshooting searches. Google also likes to avoid common operators now for some reason and Bing doesn't.
I also absolutely adore Bing Chat for more sophisticated problem solving to get answers blazing fast. Double check them, of course: it's AI.

I have read many of the comments.
I have found that Bing is not better then Google in many ways.
Every so often, I go back to try Bing again and find, as mentioned in another comment, the results are laughable and irrelevant to my enquiry.
I recently tried again when I noted AI had been added.
After trying five enquiries I found the pre-AI Bing was better than it is now.
I still miss the days of "Ask Jeeves" that allowed me to control the type of search returns I received and never tried to over ride the decisions I made.

Back