Bing starts serving personalized search results

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has announced two new personalized search features that should make Bing's results more accurate. The first new addition is localized search. For instance, Seattle residents can now simply enter "pizza" to receive local eateries instead of "pizza in Seattle." Microsoft notes that 76% of people use search engines to plan trips, events or social gatherings, so having results tailored by location should make Bing more useful for those types of queries.

Bing can also now customize results by showing you the most relevant links based on your previous searches. "If a user issues a query such as {acs} the most relevant result for that user is not necessarily the same as that for the majority of people in the U.S.," Microsoft explained. For instance, if a user is interested in chemistry, the most relevant result may be the American Chemical Society, but to someone else the American Cancer Society might be more accurate.

The greatest obstacle with personalizing results is the unpredictability of human behavior. "We think one of the challenges with delivering results which are truly individualized is that, to date, personalized search can't see the forest for the trees. In other words everyone is collecting everything and trying to figure out the foibles of human behavior from a mass of digital bits. To an extent, we've all been looking at the wrong inputs which in turn haven't given us the output we want."

Permalink to story.

Yes, so what Google already does localized search.

It is a good idea to keep the search results relevant with what the user has looked for by storing some cookies or using the search history for clues on what the user may be looking for.

Guest said:
Yes, so what Google already does localized search.
Its probably how Bing gets it results.
I've gotten so use to google that is not that difficult to find what i'm looking for, so the personalized search provides little for me.

Well how google copy things from others and or bully them is nicely elaborated by Cade Metz in the link given in that thread. So for me there is no difference between the accuser and the accused.

Google is full of spam especially when searching for something that is probably searched only by a few users.

There isn't any golden gun in the search engine...You type your search, you get your results, simple as that. Anything Bing can do, Google has already probably done (as pointed out by Guest in the first reply).

Microsoft are throwing millions of dollars at Bing...and when you think about it, for what? Do they seriously think they'll achieve parity with Google one day?

Remember once upon a time yahoo was a major player and see what happened to it? It is not the search rather it is the adds which brings them money, and if competition heats up in that area, there may come a time when Google just doesn't see it as viable alternative to remain in search. Hence, that is why they are working hard to diversify and penetrate other markets; which is perfectly logical.

Bing still has a long way to go.....personally for me google is in the first position,i only use bing as a last resort,if i cant find what i want anywhere else.

Back