BIOS checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SALEEN961

Hello, I've been trying to diagnose the problem I'm having with my computer for a while now and I just can't figure it out, so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me. When I turn the system on it occassionally won't show video but when it does it does not show the bois splash screen and after 30 seconds it comes up to a screen that reads:

Award BootBlock BOIS v1.0
Copywrite (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BOIS ROM checksum error

Detecting IDE ATAPI device...

Detecting Floppy drive A media...
Drvie A Error. System Hault

Right now the system is just the PSU, motherboard, CPU, Video card, and a single stick of RAM, since I have swaped out the Video card, ram, and CPU the only things left for it to be are the motherboard and PSU. Unfortunately I don't have a spare of either to swap in so whichever I buy to swap in I'm looking at spending about $120 so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction before I spend any more money in the wrong place.

The system as of now consists of:

Pentium Dual-Core E5300
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
(1x1GB) Corsair DDR2 667mhz
EVGA 6800 Video Card
Ultra V-Series 500-Watt PSU
Zalman CNPS9500 AT CPU Cooler with Artic Silver 5 Compound
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case with SytheUSA High Flow Fans

I wouldn't be able to tell you since it skips the splash screen where I can enter the bios but everything is set to the default settings, and the CMOS has been reset several times.

What we need to find out is why the A drive has errored because according to what you gave us that is where the boot-up is halted. Do you have a floppy drive installed?

But from what you gave us the system is halting on Drive A for it detects an error. This why we need to find out if it is indeed enabled in the BIOS even if you don't have one physically installed. In other words, you don't have a floppy drive (Drive A) installed but if the Drive A is enabled in the BIOS it is looking for said drive and can't detect thus it reads it as an error halting the proccedure to load.

I just went to put a floppy drive in and now it consistently doesn't produce any video, any beep codes, or the single POST complete beep. It's doing this both with and without the floppy drive installed. No other hardware was changed or even touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back