Bios flash gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattb2e

Not sure if this is the right section for this post but here goes anyways. I have a compaq R4000 laptop in which I had previously been trying to diagnose a problem with erratic BSOD's. During the course of diagnosis I had found through another thread that one problem was a possible video card driver error, during reboot I had noticed that I had gotten a bios error of some sort, never seen it before and I didnt get to write it down. The bios error only happened once and the computer was able to post into windows after a reboot. After reboot I had downloaded and installed an older version of the video card driver I had, thinking maybe the newest version had some bugs in it and I downloaded a brand new updated bios firmware flash, apparently I had an outdated bios by two years. Thinking that the error was somehow related to an outdated bios firmware I had gladly dowloaded the program to flash my bios. The instructions seemed simple, just run the program and what not and it was pretty self explainatory. I did such to encounter that about 10 percent into the flash I had gotten an IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. I literally flew off the handle because I knew that that was the end of the story for this laptop. Sure enough after a hard reset I had a no post condition with a blank screen, no bios startup, no nothing. I had noticed that it was seeking the Dvd-rom but that was about it. I was furious at this point because I had not had any BSOD problems for a good 3 or 4 boots and I had been up and running for about a half hour flawlessly. I had diligently been looking for a solution to this problem and found a Boot Block Recovery program for the Phoenix Bios my laptop has. As it stands I havent been able to get it to work, I have been utilizing a newly purchased external usb floppy drive, a crisis recovery utility boot disk with all the necessary boot files and the bios rom file. I think my problem lies within the autoexec.bat file commands but im not sure as I have never encountered this problem before. My autoexec.bat currently reads "PHLASH16 /mode=3 /X xxx.WPH" and I have tried several other commands and even a UNIFlash utility producing the same results. During boot block recovery procedure the computer will start the process beep once, then give me a 1-2 beep error code and then the floppy will initialize, read, stop, read for about 5 seconds and then stop again, no more beeps, no more floppy drive seeks no nothing just dead silence, and fan noise. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on this please, please help, if its just user error and I can get this paperweight to work once more it would be fantastic, I really dont want to have to spend 500 dollars on a new laptop. Thanks in advance.

does the autoexec.bat command look good? or is it wrong? If I do have to replace the MoBo then I might as well call it a day, a used one runs about 250 and a new one around 400. Being that I still dont know what caused the BSOD's in the first place I shouldnt just put 400 dollars into a laptop and then have to spend more if there is a component failing such as memory or an adaptor of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back