BIOS help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

So... i was helping my Grandad today with his machine. He's just got a widescreen monitor, but his computer is old and didn't support the right resolution.

I was reading about the Mobo (Asus A7S8X-MX) and the onboard VGA graphics (SiS741) and it looked like I might be able to update the bios (and VBIOS) to support the widescreen resolutions.

Here's the SiS support page re: this issue:
sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm#73

And here's where I got the BIOS file from:
wimsbios.com/files/vgabiospatched/bios.jsp

So i followed the instructions and used Asus' BIOS Flashing software. It looked like it completed OK, but when the computer rebooted afterwards I got a "BIOS checksum error", along with the message "Insert media and press enter".

I rebooted again, and this time the monitor stayed off. The computer is turning on, but won't show me anything on the screen. If i hit enter, it does still try to read the floppy drive.

Is there any way I'll be able to automatically flash the BIOS from a floppy (i.e. without being able to see what I'm doing? or, are my suspicions correct - have I totally bricked it?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have!
Turk

Try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and reinstall it. If it will post, you should enter the BIOS to restore previous settings.

A few developments...

I created an MS-DOS boot disk that had an autoexec file to automatically flash the BIOS back to the last working version.

This was the only thing i could do as I couldn't get any output on the screen at all. So I put the disk in, and hoped for the best. It chugged away for a while, and then stopped ready the floppy, so i hit reset and bingo! Screen came back and the machine booted!

Glad you got it running again. I would recommend not using any BIOS that you didn't download from the Asus website.

Glad to here that you got flashed your bios. As per my knowledge the recent Asus motherboard has a reset function available. At least you should have a Motherboard CD/DVD to flash to original version of Bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back