TechSpot

BIOS Settings for AMD Athlon XP 2700

By donmck1
Mar 17, 2009
  1. Hi Guys:
    Just new to this forum and thought you might help me to solve a problem. Here's the situation:
    ASUSTek A7V8X-X Motherboard
    Award Software Inc. BIOS Version: Asus A7V8X-X ACPI Revision 1007 - Date: 11/13/2003
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP2700
    Socket A (462) - Core Voltage: 1,680V
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

My computer kept re-booting and I sent it in for repair and thought the problem was fixed. It ran for about 1 hour and quit. I looked at the BIOS settings and noticed they were set to 100 mhz. I changed it to 133/33 and it seemed to work better. This forum suggested elsewhere that it should be set to 166/33.
    I tried that and a red message popped up about something not in sync.

Any ideas?
    Thanks, Don

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The Asus A7V8X-X is an extremely old motherboard. Have you replaced the CMOS battery?

3. donmck1

donmck1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

The CMOS Battery was replaced about two weeks ago. Thanks

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

So if you leave it at 133/33, it works ok... Leave it there and use the computer as long as you can. It may soon be time for a new computer

5. donmck1

donmck1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

It still shuts down once in a while unexpectedly and when the BIOS appears there are warning messages in red and I have no idea of what they mean.
    Don

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

depending your ram is 333 if I am not mistaken. but set the bios for auto-detect.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.