BIOS setup does not show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week, my laptop (HP pavilion) had over heat problem because of the thermal pad CPU and heat sink was dislocated, so opened my laptop and fixed it. Then, it was working fine until this morning. I could not start my laptop, even the bios setup usually appears when we just power the laptop does not show up either. I only saw a little glare from the screen. The hard drive lad indicator sometime blinks, thus i think that the laptop still running but the screen could not show anything.

Any of you has confronted the same problem? Could you please share your experiment to me?

What is the age of your HP Pavilion. It may be that the inverter which rests at the bottom of the screen, behind the screen, has burned out. They are inexpenisive to replace ... $10 to $25 depending on model , but your first one will be a bit difficult and take you perhaps four hours of work... the next one will be easy..
Tell us more about the computer.

My Pavilion dv2700 is 2.5 years old. One more problem of my laptop that i forgot to say is its screen turn to red and lose all the resolution when it freeze because of over heat. However, it still happened (not often like before) after i fixed the the heat issue. Could you please more specific of the location of inverter? Is there any reference to fix that problems and picture showing where is the part that i need to replace.

The inverter changes the negative image produced to a positive image for viewing. It is responsible for creating the screen image. It is about the length of a pencil, but twice as wide. It plugs into a socket at the bottom of the screen and behind it. The screen housing must be removed from the computer, and disassembled... with what can be as few as 12 small screws hidden under plastic or rubber screw covers... or as many as 26 screws. It varies by brand and model.
This usually coasts from $80 to $150 depending on the repair shop, but if handy with tools (a #0 philips screw driver and a way to lift off the screw covers, you can do it yourself. The first one takes four hours. The next one takes 20 minutes.
You order the inverters from the manufactuer for $49 or on eBay for $5.75 to $12.

Thank you very much for your clear explanation. I am still wondering that, if the inverter was fail, it should work when i connected my laptop to external monitor via VGA port. However, it did not show anything on the external monitor. I am afraid of that the problem comes from graphic card. What do you think about that?

Sorry, you r thinking is right. My theory was incorrect... I didn't pay enough attention.
You are into a new level of problems. If you HP Pavilion has a separate video graphics card, that could easily be the problem... but I don't remember that model having a removable video graphics card... but it could be any of a number of other problems... most of them expensive...
Keep at it. You have a good thinker, and when you figger it out, be sure to give us the final score.

It is the chip on board model. I saw two chips with the thermal pads on them, so i guess one of them is CPU and another is GPU. Both of them look like the flip chip on PCB. Thus, if the problem cause by graphic card, i don't think we can fix it. Is there any option that you can suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back