Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

i have an intel mb on my Gateway pc and when i get to the bios screen i cant alter anything. anyone know why?

Gateway, Dell and the other big boys lock the bios because they have learned from expirience that most of their costs for support came from having to deal with people tampering with the bios.

I believe ABit and some ASUS boards have good reputation for overclocking. ABIT IT7-Max2v2 & ASUS P4PE Deluxe are some examples of stable boards able to support overclocking to a certain extent.

You can OC with almost any board, all the mainstream ones...

What CPU & memory do you have with that Gateway system?

Want overclocking? Go with AMD (1ghz of overclocking is possible). You want lower prices? Go with AMD. AMD performs better before intel's HT (Hyper Threading) processors came out. In that case, that would be ur 1.0GHz, but guess what, you can get a 1700+ for less than a PIII 1.0GHz.

Well, the p3 isn't such a bad cpu at all, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that...

But you might have some trouble getting a new motherboard that supports the P3 and PC133 ram...

I seem to recall many people like motherboards based on BX chipset for overclocking, but it's been a long while since I read anything about it...

You might want to try to search the forums for "BX" "overclocking" or something like that.. You might just find what you're looking for... :)

Yes, if you're going out to buy a new one, but when he already has one, it's not cheaper....

That's why I told him to look for a BX based motherboard, since it should be cheaper than buying a new motherboard and cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back