TechSpot

Bioshock black boxes?

By Sketchy Meister
Feb 22, 2009
  1. Bioshock black boxes? (fixed)

I just started playing Bioshock a couple of weeks ago, and i get black boxes showing up...everywhere. I even just started getting X's! I don't know what is causing it and im wondering if anyone has any ideas? i have the most recent nvidia driver and bioshock patch 1.1. Also, when i start up, the intro stuff plays in the background but the video portion of it is stuck on the first copyright thing. It will go to the menu correctly after i hit escape after the nvidia sound.

[​IMG]

Edit: I had reinstalled it, and it worked fine for awhile. Then the same thing started happening after a day or so.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,230   +232

The video card may be overheating or just plain going bad

3. Sketchy Meister

Sketchy Meister TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

I doubt it, its only about 6 months old, and i have the fan all the way up. And this is the only game its happening to :(

4. Tmagic650

Your specs are good. I had problems with the Creative XFI Extreme Gamer in my Vista computer. I trashed it in favor of my on board sound, which was much better. I wonder if it is conflicting with Bioshock

5. Sketchy Meister

Hm, well i haven't had any problems with my X-Fi. I absolutely love it, and going from on board to this, i noticed a huge difference! But could a sound card really create visual artifacts?

6. Tmagic650

"But could a sound card really create visual artifacts?"

I really don't know, but it might be worth a try to use the on-board sound to test this theory. I have seen sound card difficulties cause video "studdering" or pauses, but not visual annomalies

7. Sketchy Meister

I fixed it. I just turned off the high detail shaders. Must be a 64 bit thing?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.