Biostar P4TSV will not reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad: I just upgraded my memory to 4 GB and it is only showing 3.5 GB, so I flashed and update V.0721S to my biostar. After that, problems. My computer won't reboot, unless I press delete at the beginning to go into my bios. Then I can get back to Windows XP. Anyone know a way to undo this install, I already tried system restore, no luck. I know I'm dead here. Or does anyone know where I can find an update for this. I searched, and Biostar has an update for SP2 problems, I got SP3.
Just plain driving me nuts. Wont be an easy fix, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it much. Otherwise, my computer runs great. Just the start up is the problem.
:dead:

32-bit Windows XP will only support 3.5GB of system memory. You need XP 64-bit to see 4GB or more. So by updating your bios you caused the no reboot problem. Go back to the previous bios and see if the reboot problem goes away

The place where you got the bios update should also list older bios versions. Just apply the older bios over the latest using the same procedure that you used for the new bios update

:) So weird. I couldn't find any other bios upgrades at the manufacturere, or any where, and have been trying to contact them. They sent me 3 older versions (only 5 minutes ago) and asked me if I knew which one I had originally, which I don't know. It's been a pain, but, now, I will try to update my bios with one of them. Don't know which one, but, I'll take a (un)lucky guess.
Thanks, hope going back doesn't mess up anything.
BTW-as you can tell, I didn't know I can overwrite newer bios with older bios.
:grinthumb

I've been to this site. It only has 3 downloads, 2 for a fix on Service Pack 2 (I have SP3, no problems), and the 3rd one is for legacy motherboards, which I don't have.
Thanks.

No, if you click on the link, the first two files listed at the top are the latest BIOS files available. Those would be TSV0916.BF and TSV0916.BS. You are misreading the descriptions. They are not direct fixes for Service Pack 2 itself. They are BIOS fixes for when Windows XP SP2 is installed. They also include other previous BIOS fixes and updates. If you want the most recent BIOS for your motherboard, these are it. It's up to you though. Install what you want.

BTW, when you flash the BIOS you have to enter it to reset all your previous settings. For example, if you have SATA hard drives and your SATA/RAID controllers were set to AHCI, your PC won't start properly if the new BIOS isn't reset to AHCI again.

Hi Mailpup, Thanks for the info. I ended up installing one of the 2 updates last night, and now, my computer will boot. However, I didn't use the one you suggested, but, I do have it ready to use. I used the other one, just before I read your reply, 50/50 chance, I ALWAYS pick the wrong one. I would like to use the one you suggested, but don't want to take any more chances. What is the benefit of the other one, with splash screen, I am considering doing that one. After this is done, I'm going to look for help on changing my 32 bit to 64 bit, if it isn't dangerous.
Thanks for your help. To me, bios are scarey, and I thought I wouold never get thru this.
:grinthumb:grinthumb

There is no significant advantage so I wouldn't bother to re-flash the BIOS. As you know, it is risky and if it is working don't "fix" it. I suggested the splash screen because the logo might help you to tell that's its posting in the future, in case something goes wrong then, but it's so minor that I wouldn't change it.

Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit just means a routine installing of Windows. The only difference is the version you choose. It's no more dangerous or risky than installing any version of Windows. However, if you are installing a 64 bit version of Windows just to utilize the last 1/2 gig of RAM, I wouldn't bother unless you must have more than 3.5 gigs. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble. But that's just my opinion and if you simply want to do it, you won't get an argument from me.

:approve: Well, I've learned a lot about BIOS, and not to mess with it, if I don't have to. If changinf to a 64 bit is going to be a pain (like bios), I think I will leave it alone, for a while. I've stressed out over the bios, not ready to go thru that again. Some day, I'm going to want that .5 gig, and when I get some guts (lol), I'll attempt it.
Thanks for all the help and advice. Would of been lost without it.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back