BitDefender offers security solution for BitTorrent and uTorrent

Emil

Staff

BitDefender has partnered with BitTorrent and µTorrent to safeguard users from malware when downloading media files from the Internet. The new Virus Guard application, powered by BitDefender's security technology, scans all torrent files to ensure they are malware-free.

Virus Guard is available in the new BitTorrent App Studio, but it operates as a standalone security app that's seamlessly integrated into the BitTorrent and µTorrent clients to scan downloads once they're completed. If malware is detected, the app flags the offending torrent and prompts users to sign up for a free trial of BitDefender's security suite. Of course, you don't have to do that and can instead use your current antivirus solution to remove the threat.

"BitTorrent is a powerful and increasingly popular way for users to exchange content they value. Its increasing popularity has made third-party hosting sites a target for malware authors to try to infect users' systems. By partnering with BitTorrent, we're able to protect users proactively from malware and other e-threats before they are able to infect users' computers," Peter Laakkonen, BitDefender's general manager of OEM and technology licensing, said in a statement. "We're excited to be part of BitTorrent's new App Studio and contribute to an even better user experience by providing a safe computing environment for all users."

Permalink to story.

Nice idea, but the AV does a good job already, so i've no need.

Cota said:
Yo dawg i heard you like Antiviruses, so we put an antivirus in your antivirus so you can scan while you scan.

Errr...Thanks dog, i'll be bitchin' wid that...

Benny26 said:
Nice idea, but the AV does a good job already, so i've no need.

Yo dawg i heard you like Antiviruses, so we put an antivirus in your antivirus so you can scan while you scan.

Why is that ironic? Why wouldn't they do something like that? I'm sorry, but there's no irony in that. What would be ironic is if the companies whose material is being torrented were the ones creating this software. Protection software doesn't care what you do, just as long as you purchase their software. And there's no law against protecting people from virus in illegal content.

Tom, you've got your head shoved so far up your rear end I don't even know where to begin. Who said BitTorrent is for stolen software? I can give you plenty of examples where BitTorrent is used legally. The purpose of it IS legal. It used to share DATA between computers. Just because *some* people use it for illegal activities doesn't make it illegal. It also doesn't mean this AV is trying to protect criminals. Do we say cars are illegal just because *some* people use them for illegal activities? NO, we don't.

I never said there was nothing wrong with it Matrix86, it is just ironic. I also understand that torrents aren't just for illegal software downloading, and that it has its uses for perfectly legal endeavours.

This just can't come soon enough. I've got my hands full trying to hold all these virus infected stolen mp3's, movies and tv shows. If I get a chance to see which ones are infected, I'll know exactly which are meant for sharing over Limeware instead of bittorrent.

The sad fact of the matter is that, unlike what Guest1 likes to imply, MOST people use torrents for illegal activities. The fact that it happens so much is the main reason why virus creators are trying to distribute their code through illegal torrented content. The fact that someone felt a need to have a AV specifically scan torrents is a testament to how widespread the problem is.

Yes, there's the odd virus that infects a repository or binary of perfectly legal content, which can get spread around, but these occurrences are few and far between (and somewhat publicized because most of these people are smart enough to stave off all but the most determined attacks). Please don't kid yourself that only *some* torrents are for legal content.

tl;dr The problem (and this AV solution) is mainly because of illegal downloads, not legal ones.

people people people! this furry chow is realy getting annoyed, don't you see the glaring obvius, its a good thing that bit defender is trying to do, but what is actually happening here. is this, in the long turm, many I ask myself why bit defender, why not other guys like za aand kaspersky? I guees they are waiting to see if its proffotable before jumping on the band waggen

Back