TechSpot

BitFenix unveils $39 Merc Alpha and Beta cases

By Matthew
Aug 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. BitFenix has unveiled a new budget desktop chassis series comprised of two enclosures: Alpha and Beta. Both are constructed out of steel and plastic -- the de facto materials among…

Read the whole story

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 363   +40

Not too shabby for $40. Of course you could always just get and $80 case and save yourself the money of a pci usb3 card, but that's another story entirely.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,303   +99

Pretty solid for a $40 case... very interesting

4. chaboi390

chaboi390 TS Rookie Posts: 83

Wow, $40 for a mid-tower, there's got to be some catch behind this..

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I don't think so neccessarily. As in all things, your entry level product now is going to have a lot more features than an entry level product had a while ago. I bought a CM Centurion about 6-7 years ago, for some amount between $50-$100 (can't 'member) but it had a lot less features than this case.

I'm guessing that the fans are not going to be top of the line though.

But if I was building a new rig for mom or dad, this would be a perfect case.

6. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Pretty decent cases for $39. The painted interiors is a nice touch and the front panel I/O even has more USB ports than the Thermaltake tower that I bought 6 years ago.

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

The problem I seem to be having with these case reviews... there is no date when this is available. As in previous reviews I've liked the cases but they werent available when Techspot released the article... so then I forget about these products since I cannot buy them.

I had recently posted a thread about cases, where a few Techspot members, and some staff helped me and pointed out some of the past reviews.

Here is my thread for anyone interested. http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic168136.html

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,806   +917

I'm gonna wonder out loud here and ask, do you think they're giving you the fans in the higher priced model, or just the fan holes?.
    Yup, ten dollar holes.

These would be nice for a lot of people, not just moms and dads. However, there are more established companies competing at this price point. And don't forget Newegg's "Rosewill" line, which is extensive.

One thing I do like about these two cases, the styling is almost ripoff Lian Li (*), which gives them a "journeyman" look and appeal.

((*) Albeit with a touch of curvature in the faceplate).

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

I have a Centurion 5 (actually a couple of them). I think they are really solid cases for the money. Plus they look nice, I'm not a big fan of overly flashy designs or swingout front panels to get access to drives.

I do like the look of these cases and they are a couple bucks cheaper than the Cent 5.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.