BitTorrent says upcoming uTorrent update will feature ads

Jos

Staff

Popular torrent client uTorrent has gone through significant changes since it was acquired by BitTorrent in 2006. Launched in September 2005 as a minimalist, resource-friendly and free application for downloading torrents, is has evolved over the years to do far more than downloading, including streaming and playing music and videos within the client itself. As usual, some welcomed the new features and others resisted them, but the latest change is likely to get more of the latter: uTorrent is going ad-supported.

Advertisements will soon be integrated into the client in the form of “featured torrents” that sit in a highly visible spot just below the toolbar within the uTorrent UI.

These featured torrents will create an extra revenue stream by promoting “relevant” content from advertisers such as films, games, music, software and more -- the company says this will in no way affect your privacy. They’ll also be used to inform users of new products, features and services, as well as to promote independent artists.

You'll be able to skip offers of no interest to you by clicking an x within the ad, which will advance you to the next one. There is no way to turn in-client offers off but that may change in the future. “We may not get it right on the first try but we will continue to improve our efforts based on your feedback,” BitTorrent said.

Currently nearly all of the company’s annual revenue, estimated at somewhere between $15 and $20 million, comes from an optional toolbar that users can install when uTorrent is first downloaded. They are also backed by millions in venture capital and sell a Windows-only, premium version of their client known as uTorrent Plus for $25, which will continue to provide an ad-free experience.

With over 125 million active users per month, uTorrent stands to make quite a bit of cash for BitTorrent.

Permalink to story.

Looks like I may have to switch :/

Boo hoo, you will have to press an X every month or so to help a great company keep the support for an amazing software, poor you!!

Currently nearly all of the company?s annual revenue, estimated at somewhere between $15 and $20 million, comes from an optional toolbar that users can install when uTorrent is first downloaded.

Yeah, nah.

I personally don't like it based on principle, I mean uTorrent was supposed to be the 100k client that could. Then again it will all depend on how bad the ads are. If BT refrains from making them intrusive and somehow manage to have cool advertisers (feature movies, quality software, etc.) then there will be no reason to look for an alternative torrent client.

So if they're going to provide "relevant" content, then they're going to be scanning what you're actually downloading.

And since advertisers are supposed to pay on the basis of how often their ads get shown, isn't it possible that to some degree that's going to basically show them how often that stuff gets downloaded?

And then who is to say that they're not going to start tracking IP addresses to which the ads are shown?

Its one thing to be shown an ad based on what your search query is, its another to be shown an ad while downloading copyrighted content.

I know this is a worst case scenario, but I'd rather not mess around with this stuff, and get slapped with a lawsuit a few years down the line.

From what I understand and has been explained to me having an ad-ready version of µTorrent doesn't mean you'll always be shown ads it will depend on where you are located in the world and the kind of promotions currently available, if any, for that region.

One of the reasons of going down the ads path is lowering revenue dependency on the toolbar.

Utorrent is bloated as **** now anyway it got worse with every update after 1.8.5 im sticking to other open source clients.

Do we have a good alternative? Something that isn't above 20 MB-s before installed, and knows magnets?

Utorrent is bloated as **** now anyway it got worse with every update after 1.8.5 im sticking to other open source clients.

I feel your pain brother, my 1 mb utorrent is bloated as **** and uses a whole 30 mb out of 8 gb of system ram ... bloated as ****... damn you uTorrent... DAMN YOU!!!!

µTorrent is my favorite client and that's fine as long as there is no horde of zombie pop-ups jumping in my face. I think they deserve to make some money with their great services during past years.

People complain to much, do you have so little ram in your pc that you can't run utorrent even if it takes up say 50-100mb of ram? lol.

Looks like I may have to switch :/

Boo hoo, you will have to press an X every month or so to help a great company keep the support for an amazing software, poor you!!

Currently nearly all of the company?s annual revenue, estimated at somewhere between $15 and $20 million, comes from an optional toolbar that users can install when uTorrent is first downloaded.

Yeah, nah.

Yep I will switch too if I have to see adds. Or just pirate the software I use to pirate with. Stupid that they even have a + version!

People complain to much, do you have so little ram in your pc that you can't run utorrent even if it takes up say 50-100mb of ram? lol.

Yeah, bit by bit, fills up the glass. Those who don't complain don't have the foresight to see what's coming.

I only use versions 1.8.3 and 3..0.

I am pretty sure the older versions will still work. Though im quite happy to click an ad for a great free program.

Back