TechSpot

BitTorrent says upcoming uTorrent update will feature ads

By Jos
Aug 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Popular torrent client uTorrent has gone through significant changes since it was acquired by BitTorrent in 2006. Launched in September 2005 as a minimalist, resource-friendly and free application for downloading torrents, is has evolved over the years to do far…

Read more

2. Shaun2312

Shaun2312 TS Rookie Posts: 22

Looks like I may have to switch :/

3. Or torrent the ad free plus version ;)

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,317   +101

Boo hoo, you will have to press an X every month or so to help a great company keep the support for an amazing software, poor you!!

5. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Yeah, nah.

6. KoJoT1234

KoJoT1234 TS Rookie

Deal with it. :)

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +333

I personally don't like it based on principle, I mean uTorrent was supposed to be the 100k client that could. Then again it will all depend on how bad the ads are. If BT refrains from making them intrusive and somehow manage to have cool advertisers (feature movies, quality software, etc.) then there will be no reason to look for an alternative torrent client.

8. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Will keep using it have been used to google ads and spam on various torrent sites so still worth using it.

9. Just don't update next time your prompted to =D

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

So if they're going to provide "relevant" content, then they're going to be scanning what you're actually downloading.

And since advertisers are supposed to pay on the basis of how often their ads get shown, isn't it possible that to some degree that's going to basically show them how often that stuff gets downloaded?

And then who is to say that they're not going to start tracking IP addresses to which the ads are shown?

Its one thing to be shown an ad based on what your search query is, its another to be shown an ad while downloading copyrighted content.

I know this is a worst case scenario, but I'd rather not mess around with this stuff, and get slapped with a lawsuit a few years down the line.

11. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

From what I understand and has been explained to me having an ad-ready version of µTorrent doesn't mean you'll always be shown ads it will depend on where you are located in the world and the kind of promotions currently available, if any, for that region.

One of the reasons of going down the ads path is lowering revenue dependency on the toolbar.

12. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 146   +10

LMAO this is so true

13. Utorrent is bloated as **** now anyway it got worse with every update after 1.8.5 im sticking to other open source clients.

14. Do we have a good alternative? Something that isn't above 20 MB-s before installed, and knows magnets?

15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,317   +101

I feel your pain brother, my 1 mb utorrent is bloated as **** and uses a whole 30 mb out of 8 gb of system ram ... bloated as ****... damn you uTorrent... DAMN YOU!!!!

mario likes this.
  16. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

The current client is a 876KB download

17. µTorrent is my favorite client and that's fine as long as there is no horde of zombie pop-ups jumping in my face. I think they deserve to make some money with their great services during past years.

18. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,926   +569

As the saying goes, Free comes with a #ick up one's ***.

19. h4expo

h4expo TS Rookie Posts: 16

... or no. To me it looks like a deliberate attempt to kill a good programs user base. Ill be finding another client here very soon.

20. d4rk5ky

d4rk5ky TS Rookie

People complain to much, do you have so little ram in your pc that you can't run utorrent even if it takes up say 50-100mb of ram? lol.

21. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

Yep I will switch too if I have to see adds. Or just pirate the software I use to pirate with. Stupid that they even have a + version!

22. I'm not updating then !

23. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Yeah, bit by bit, fills up the glass. Those who don't complain don't have the foresight to see what's coming.

24. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +152

I only use versions 1.8.3 and 3..0.

I am pretty sure the older versions will still work. Though im quite happy to click an ad for a great free program.

25. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,386   +480 Staff Member

TechSpot has ads.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.