Black boot-up screen on Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisn

I am not sure if I posted this in the right place, if someone could direct me, or if this is the right place, ugh, I hate being a n00b :/.

So here is my problem:

Before I begin, I am sorry for signing up and the first thing I do is ask for help, I really should give before I get. I'll get right to it, again, sorry.

There is this whole huge thing about me getting a video card then getting a power supply and it not working and what-not, but alas, I will not bore you, and since I am unsure of the attention span of the people in this forum, I would say I have about a paragraph or so before I lose my readers so here I go.

Since I lost the connection form the video card to the power supply (a 6-pin connector sort of splitting into two 4-pin connectors that connect to the power supply), I ordered one from "newegg" and it came today, thinking all of my problems would go away I quickly connected it, but then I connected the monitor to the video card and booted it up, it showed a black screen, the monitor was working, the light was on, the computer was working that yellow light was blinking, but there was a black screen. So, I started to boot up and shut down over and over and moving the connectors from the video card making sure they were all connected and I think I made the problem worse because whenever I connect the 6-pin to video card and power supply and start it up, it doesn't even turn the screen on, it blinks, the yellow light doesn't turn on. I can put the screen to the old place where I used to connect it but then after it says all that fancy information it tells me (right after when I have the chance to get into the setup thing) "Disk Boot Failure_(then something something)".

If you could please help me that would be great. I know I wasn't really very specific but I tried my best. Thank you for reading!

Your power supply might not be sufficient to power your new graphics card whatever it is. Disk boot failure could be a failed hard drive or possibly insufficient power to the hard drive.

Your power supply might not be sufficient to power your new graphics card whatever it is. Disk boot failure could be a failed hard drive or possibly insufficient power to the hard drive.

I bought a new power supply and I think it gives it enough power because the fan for the video card works.

...I think it gives it enough power because the fan for the video card works.
I'm afraid that only means it is getting some power, not necessarily enough. So what power supply do you have and what are the rest of your system specifications as Flannelwarrior mentioned?

yea dude... Power supply is one of the faults to many new builders.. many people donate computers to goodwill cause they think they are broke when all it needs is a ps upgrade/replacement. ..proper power to your puter is neccessary.. you want more than enough available or you will get issues like fans but no display .. and i mean all fans running.. .. think about it like this.. every individual piece of hardware needs its own little bit of power.. see if you can figure the wattage and go from there.. (ag. i use a 420watt p supply)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back