Black screen after changing refresh rate

hello

i know theres millions of threads about this but they dont seem to help anything (this may be wrong spot to post but i didnt find any other)

So the problem is when i installed ATI Catalyst Center i went to my monitors Hz aka Refresh Rate, i didnt accutaly know what it does so i went to change it (Not Good idea) and my monitor just went black and the message came up: 'Out of range!'....

and yes ive tried to start in safemode but same message comes :/

so yes i need help!

Hi Pot
Welcome to Techspot.

Is there an auto button on your monito? Try turning the monitor off then back on and also try hitting the auto button. Sometimes this resets the monitor.

Do you have integrated graphics on your mobo? If you do unplug the graphics card plug your monitor onto you mobo and try rebooting.

You should be able to uninstall the graphics drivers and ATI Catalyst Center.

This should re-set the monitor for you and correct the refresh rate. Once uninstalled plug the graphics card back in re-install the software and see if that corrects the problems.

Hope this helps
James

I've never actually seen a change in refresh rate where you didn't have 10 seconds to click ok before it goes back to the old one...

But in any case, safe mode should have worked, but thats the wrong way to do it. On the screen where you select Safe Mode there is an option for "VGA Mode", that will boot up a normal Windows environment, but the resolution/refresh will be 800x600@60hz which will work. Then you can change to whatever.

hi there im having a similar problem here too.

Basically im playing COHO and after 3 hours or so the screen starts shaking slightly if i ignore it, it gets worse until the screen blacks out and i get different coloured vertical lines on the screen. I fix that by alt tabbing to desktop get angry and post my problems : )

Ive just tried changing my refresh rate which is currently set at 60hz to 75hz using Ati's CCC and also trying windows method too but every time i do i get the same coloured lines, as if my gfx card is over heating, but its current temp is 40degrees centigrade which i think is good.

Ive already uninstalled the gfx completly to no avail this is really frustrating that i cant simply change my refresh rate which i know will fix my problems.

I should mention my specs
600 watt PSU (recently bought to try and see if that was the problem)
xfx Hd 5670 ati
2 gig ram ddr2
and an amd processor dual core 2.6ghz

any ideas?

hi there im having a similar problem here too.

Basically im playing COHO and after 3 hours or so the screen starts shaking slightly if i ignore it, it gets worse until the screen blacks out and i get different coloured vertical lines on the screen. I fix that by alt tabbing to desktop get angry and post my problems : )

Ive just tried changing my refresh rate which is currently set at 60hz to 75hz using Ati's CCC and also trying windows method too but every time i do i get the same coloured lines, as if my gfx card is over heating, but its current temp is 40degrees centigrade which i think is good.

Ive already uninstalled the gfx completly to no avail this is really frustrating that i cant simply change my refresh rate which i know will fix my problems.

I should mention my specs
600 watt PSU (recently bought to try and see if that was the problem)
xfx Hd 5670 ati
2 gig ram ddr2
and an amd processor dual core 2.6ghz

any ideas?

Probably should have made another thread rather than tacking on to this one.

Is your monitor a CRT or a LCD? If CRT, it could be going bad. If LCD its probably your graphics card overheating and that 40C you see is incorrect.

hey thanks for the replys

Im running on windows 7 and u se an LCD monitor which is fairly old its a hp1702 if that means anything to you.

as for over heating which i also suspect i turned off my comp and let it cool down for a cpl of hours came back on and changed the refresh rate to 75hz and it worked.. i was happy : ) so i turned my game on and almost instantly the screen started shaking like it was over heating, so i quickly reverted the settings.

are u sure when its saying 40 degrees its lying? ive checked the temp whilst in game and the heat does move up and down bit.

do you rekon my card could be a bit faulty?

here's something ive just noticed. take Fifa 2011 for instance, i play a match and its not shakey whilst im kicking the ball around but if it shows a replay or i have a goal kick the camera changes view and the screen is shakey. then in COHO im on title screen its a bit shakey then i press a button to bring up the menu the shakeyness stops little thing like the make me think it could be the drivers but im sure im downloading them correctly

could anyone get me a link to the drivers for a xfx hd 5670 ati card running on windows 7 64 bit? just to see if ive done it right lol sorry to be a pain

Back