TechSpot

Black screen after Grub selection (safe mode fails too) - Ubuntu still works though

By rflook
Oct 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,

My Samsung netbook failed on me today. Last time i used it was last night when i saw a nasty little trojan had infected my machine, so i turned off my wireless and let Sophos anti virus run. Turned off machine this morning (everything seemed ok at that point bar 23 iexplore windows open - guessing that was the trojans doing).

Anyhoo when i went to boot up the machine today it went to the grub menu without issue. So far so good. Ubuntu also boots without issue. So its not a complete HD failure then. The problems occur when i try to boot the windows partition. If i try to just boot all i get is a black screen with bugger all happening. If i boot to windows and then push F8 to get the windows boot menu up no matter what option I choose all that happens is that white progress bar appears at the bottom of the page, fills up about 1/5th of the way and stops and that is it?

Not really sure where to start here, did see a suggestion of using a windows recovery CD but my netbook doesnt have a cd drive :-( Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  2. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,550   +18

So, is your netbook a dual-boot Ubuntu / Win7(Starter)?

Re: Recovery CD... a usb cd will probably work.
    It may also be possible to make your recovery "disk" a thumb drive.
    BUT... the recovery cd needs to be made before disaster strikes.

Since your issue began with Malware, and
    Since some "recovery tools" require a "virus free" drive to avoid completely "borking" an OS partition,
    I would suggest that you start with the Virus and Malware Removal forum.
    I don't know if they can help you, (working from Ubuntu), or not... but I do think it is the place to start.
    Try posting a new thread there , with the same information.
    See what they suggest.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.