Black screen after installing my new 6800 agp help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel151

Hi i recently purchased an inno3d 6800 agp 8x card, i installed it into my computer and plugged everything in, pressed the power button and lo and behold the screen was black, i have tried uninstalling all my pci cards and devices, tried the graphics card by itself with no cd drives in, switched my ram around, bought a 650 watt power supply, bought a new monitor, still nothing. I also tried it on my friends sytem and it worked:/ i cant send the card back and im really stuck for ideas, anybody got a clue? by the way my setup is an ms-6590 motherboard, 768mb of pc 2700 ddr ram, amd ahtlon 2600xp+ processor, 80gb sata hard drive. also my motherboard has no onboard graphics so thats also out of the question SOMEBODY HELP ME :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What was your previous graphics card?

Did you uninstall all the drivers for your previous card, before you attempted to install the new card?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Even if a mobo is only agp 4x it should still run an agp 8x card. the card would just be clocked to the agp 4x mobo.

Regards Howard :)

hi my previous graphics card was a nvidia 4600 ti and yes i uninstalled the previous drivers b4 putting card in, and my motherboard is agp 8x, im stumped :I

yes it works fine with my old card in just not with my new one, i have a fairly old monitor about 4 years old could that be the problem?

Well at least we now know that your agp slot is working correctly.

I don`t see why your monitor should be a problem.

Download Driver cleaner from HERE

Boot into safe mode, and run the cab cleaner first for Nvidia(this is part of the Driver cleaner programme), then the driver cleaner also for Nvidia.

Reboot your machine, again into safe mode, then turn off your computer, and unplug it from the mains. Take out your old card, and put in your new card. Make sure it is seated properly, and that any extra power cables are plugged in.

Restart your computer.

Hopefully it should work. If it doesn`t, then I`m out of ideas.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back