Black screen after installing new PSU + Vid Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiANTBOMB

Disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter

Hey everyone.

I just recently installed a rocketfish 500W ATX PSU and a GeForce 9800GTX+.
However, whenever I turn on the computer I don't get a signal for the monitor at all. I can't even boot into BIOS or anything, the monitor just stays blank. I've tried the old video card, but even that no longer works. My monitor is blank either way. I've triple checked all the connections, and everything is in place. I'm completely stumped.

I have Windows XP SP3 btw.

Now the video card fan won't even start. What the hell is going on?
edit: fixed all of that, see https://www.techspot.com/vb/post745719-11.html

gud day!
check the fan of your psu is it functioning? if not.. try testing it with another psu..!maybe your psu is faulty

how about your cmos battery... replacing a cmos battery makes you boot into bios and enables board to function properly try this too

I am guessing you were having this problem before you install the psu and card right?

How about trying, keep the new psu in, and try a older card and see does it load up.

I can't reset CMOS; my computer's normal power button will start the computer up but not turn it off. I have to use the I/O switch on the PSU in the back to start the power, but the problem is it just ends up starting up the entire computer.

edit: also, my old PSU came with something like playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#atx12v4
The small square box end was plugged into the mobo near the CPU fan, but my new PSU doesn't have that kind of connector. Is this causing the problem?

Is this a brand new computer prebuilt, if you just bought it, take it back. You can't even turn off your computer , have you tried going to start run shut down?

Besides the point, it sounds like something is either wrong with your card or PSU. Also i am guessing the GeForce 9800GTX+ needs a 6-pin or 8 pin, are the plug in correctly?

ah, you need a 4 pin cpu adaptor becuase the CPU is getting no power it looks like this

something like this will be needed

FoReWoRd

If only I had read your post earlier :(
Long story short, I exchanged the PSU for an Antec 500W Earthwatts model. However, I'm having new troubles now: BIOS won't read my HDD. Specifically, I get a "Boot disc error, please insert the CD and press Enter"

I've made sure the power cable & ribbon are seated firmly. The only thing BIOS reads is the CD drive. What do I do? I don't think the HDD is failing, it worked fine a couple days ago. Is it a faulty cable?

I don't think the HDD is failing, it worked fine a couple days ago.
Right along the lines of "no way, my harddrive can't fail on me in under 5 seconds :O".

Anyway...
Long story short, I exchanged the PSU for an Antec 500W Earthwatts model. However, I'm having new troubles now: BIOS won't read my HDD. Specifically, I get a "Boot disc error, please insert the CD and press Enter"
Try going into the bios and changing your boot options, though even with boot from CD first it should still boot :/, you did plug the hdd into the hdd port and not the optical drive?

Right along the lines of "no way, my harddrive can't fail on me in under 5 seconds :O".

Anyway...

Try going into the bios and changing your boot options, though even with boot from CD first it should still boot :/, you did plug the hdd into the hdd port and not the optical drive?

How do I make sure? >_<

Edit: Fixed it! Turns out I had a spare HDD power cable adapter lying around, plugged it in and it worked! :D
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back