Black screen after Nvidia graphic card driver installation

By YoshiII
May 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I recently purchased a new [/contents/pc/carte-graphique.php3 video card] geforce gt 240 DDR3 since my old one died a few weeks ago. The PC I have is a Dell Inspiron 530 purchased on Dec 2007 with a windows vista system. When I inserted the new card in and plug the video cable to the new card, I can get into the system with a pretty bad resolution. Then I installed the driver from the cd and was asked to reboot the system. Then the problem poped up: I can see the boot up screen and even the screen of the process bar with windows vista, but then it showed me a blank or black screen and wouldnt show me the welcome screen to input my password. But I can still get into the safe mode with a video.
    I have been searching around for a solution and tried several things:

First, I went to the safe mode and uninstalled the video card driver; then i rebooted and the system can load, just like I didn't install the driver; then in the system windows automatically installed the driver for the new card. I checked the device manager, it can recognize GT 240, but with an attention mark says: Code 1, the device is not configured correctly. Then I was asked to reboot the system. The same problem happened when I rebooted and I could not get into the system just like before.

Second, i got to know that somebody recommended to change the PCIe settings in the [/contents/pc/bios.php3 BIOS]. I then got into the bios (version 1.0.7) but I could not find the PCIe settings. There were only a few settings available in the bios:

The first display: [/contents/pratique/carteres.php3 PCI] or PCIe : I tried both
    Memory size: 8Mb
    Mode: Fixed or DVMB: I tried both
    Max Memory size: 256MB

I do not know what to do next. Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot!
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,108   +21

Did you use anything like Drivwer Sweeper to make sure all older drivers were completely uninstalled before installing the newer drivers?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.