Black Screen, bad video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week my wife was messing around with my computer and hooking it up to our other monitor, during this process you have to turn the resolution down. So all was fine until the following morning, i turned it on and all i got was a black screen. I can see nothing from the moment i press the power button although i can hear when it logs into windows.

From what i can tell she set the display at 600x400 or something to that nature, i've replaced the monitor lead, tried it on a plasma and three different monitors which all have the same outcome. All connections have been checked and at this point the only thing i can come up with is replacing the video card

Grateful if anyone has help or ideas.

what vid card do you have, does it have more than one input Ie one VGA and one DVI or two DVi etc if so try the other one and see if it works, if not then do you have a spare vid card you can try.

Ok you could try taking the card out and putting it back in again it's a long shot but sometimes it works, if it doesn't work then I would say it's time to get a new card.

This is something i've never seen before, if it was just a resolution issue i should at least be able to see enough to get into the bios correct? Do you honestly think it could be the card? I dont want to start building another computer to find the issue

As you say correclty if it was just a resoultion problem you would still be able to see the bios the resolution seetings don't load up until windows starts to boot up, as you have tried it on three monitors all indications point to a faulty card, but as i said you could try taking the card out of the slot and putting it back in again sometimes it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back