Black screen, can't even see the BIOS screen

Hi all,

Yesterday I was on my computer and I was doing nothing at all, hadn't made any recent changes to it and the screen suddenly went black, while the monitor light remained blue which is it's standard color when it's connected to the PC, turned on any working well. It suddenly started to smell like something was burning, bad.

So I immediately shut down the computer while holding the power button down for 5 sec. as I couldn't see anyhting on the screen.

I opened up my computer and I didn't see anyhting burning but it was smelling pretty bad and I think it was because of all of the dust, there was tons of it, literally.

So after I thoroughly cleaned it out I turned on my computer, the screen turned on fine but I still couldn't see anyhting, not even the boot sequence. I entered Windows normally as I heard the sound when it logs into Windows, but still nothing on the screen.

I then decided to take out my graphics card and put the onboard graphics chip into use. But I couldn'T even get into the BIOS as I didn'T see anyhting.

After some testing I became aware that after I unplugged my VGA cable and replugged it back in (into the VGA port of the onboard GPU) the picture came back on for 2 seconds and then disappeared. So I went into the BIOS and after a couple of minues of plugging and unplugging the VGA cable I managed to put the onboard GPU as default and saved and exited the BIOS. By this time, I had already taken out my main Graphics card.

The computer rebooted, and nothing, it'S still the same, the screen is black and it comes abck on for 2 seconds if I take my VGA cable in and back out.

When I had my main GPU connected I also had a black screen and it was connected to a DVI cable to my 22 inch screen.

It's either that some kind of graphics structure has fried on my motherboard or that my main GPU (Radeon X1950) has fried and that the VGA cable connected to the onboard GPU is defective.

Any help would be appreciated.

"but it was smelling pretty bad"...

Something on the motherboard has fried. Dust needs heat to smell bad and the dust acts like a blanket holding in heat. Heat is bad for motherboards. Replace the motherboard

Back