Black screen following video card replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Hopefully someone could help me out with this. I've been pulling my hair out on a daily basis troubleshooting this issue. The other day I was cleaning my room listening to Pandora on my PC. From what I could remember, Pandora was the only application I had open at the time. All of a sudden my computer flips out and the song that was playing started skipping rapidly and my computer screen went blank. Since I couldnt see the screen I had to do a hard reboot. I restarted my system and it came back up asking me to start normally or in safe mode. I started normally thinking it wasnt as bad as it really is. It came to the log in screen and I entered my credentials. The system came up but only one of two monitors (I have dual monitors set up, one 23' Dell Monitor and one 40' LCD TV) turned on. Then about 5 minutes later, it did the same thing, the screen went black and I was not able to do anything at that time. I restarted my system again and this time I started in safe mode. 5 minutes later, same thing. I opened my computer to clean it out and noticed how dusty it was in there. I aired out all the dust. I looked at the fan on my video card and it looked really dusty, like the fan was too dusty to even move. I took the video card out and noticed that some of the cylinoides on it were popped, like it got too hot. So I figured that the video card was done. I went out and purchased another one, a GeForce GTS 250 (1 GB 256BIT DDR3) PCI Expressx16. I installed it and now I cant even get the system to boot up. All the fans go on, there is still an amber light coming from my motherboard (like it always has). But I get a black screen, nothing comes up at all. I dont even know if my motherboard recognizes the new card because my monitor wont even pick up a signal when I turn on the PC, the light on the monitor stays amber, like their is no communication to the video card. I'm thinking the PC doesnt recognize the new card because I havent installed the new drivers for it yet. But since I cant see the screen I cant even install the drivers. The worst thing is that I DO NOT have an on-board monitor hook up to my motherboard. My motherboard is an MSI P6N SLI Platinum. I tried pulling the card out and putting the old one back in to see if maybe I could get one more life out of it just so I could go in long enough to install the new drivers. But my PC did the same thing as when I put the new card in. The weird thing is that the fan that is on the card turns on, the new one and the old one, but there is still no connectivity going to my monitor, screen is still black. I dont know what to do next...anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Does the problem also exist in SAFE MODE?

We really need to know brand and model of computer, or configuration, and age of components to start making many suggestions.

I would want to remove every component possible, and be running some simple stuff... keeping very good notes of what attempts you have made.

Does the problem also exist in SAFE MODE?

"I restarted my system again and this time I started in safe mode. 5 minutes later, same thing." Yes it does still happen in safe mode, so it's not a software problem. Well lets see possible causes, umm is your psu at least 450 watts with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A and also did you trying clearing your cmos?

Ray Bay_yes, happened in safe mode as well. The only problem is now, is that I am not able to see the screen anymore to even start in safe mode anymore. The PC was built, not bought.

Great1122_thanks for reading my post thoroughly. My psu is 500w, 12V 24A. I did try clearing the CMOS, no dice.

A new graphics card like that takes juice. The correct plug from the psu is connected to the graphics card, assuming it draws its own power?

does your mobo have an onboard graphics port? (other than the pci-e) if it does, you could try that to get in and configure for your other monitor.

intel i3 2.93 duo
4GB DDR3 ram
1TB HD 7200rpm
512MB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 4750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back