Black Screen: Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Screen: HELP

I woke up and pushed the start button on my pc, turned on the monitor and I got no dos prompts during this time just a black screen. I can hear the computer fans go on, the lights flash on the pc, I can hear the hard drive do its thing also. I check the monitor and it works with my friends pc so I know its not the monitor but coming from the pc. A friend said it sounds like my onboard, integrated video in the mother board may be bad. He suggested getting a Video Card also known to gamers for upgrading thier visuals. I should give my machine info. I have an Emachine T6532 here goes from Manufactures:

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor with AMD 64 Technology1
(2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 20051

Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory: 1024MB DDR (2 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200), dual-channel
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)32
Optical Drive: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader: 9-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD, USB 2.0)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals: Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 (1 in digital media manager, 4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions: 14.25" H x 7.25" W x 16" D

The question is, if I put in a video card will it bypass the defective motherboard intigrated one and allow me to see dos prompts and get my black screen back in operation or are there countless other problems it could be. I only got this computer in May of 2006 and has worked fine until two days ago. I need your help. Thanks Jan

Try turning the monitor on first.Then your PC.
If this gets no results you can't do any testing.
Take it to a repair shop.

I turn on the monitor and it works fine, I have connected to also an older pc to check if it was the problem but the monitor works with the other console. The problem seems to be somewhere with the video output with the Emachine. I havent purchased the recommended video card to see if it bypasses the integrated one but would like others suggestions if this could bybass a defective onboard intigrated one. I was told to get a video card marked PCI because I have a slot in my computer that could accept the card.

bios check

I turn on the monitor and it works fine, I have connected to also an older pc to check if it was the problem but the monitor works with the other console. The problem seems to be somewhere with the video output with the Emachine. I havent purchased the recommended video card to see if it bypasses the integrated one but would like others suggestions if this could bybass a defective onboard intigrated one. I was told to get a video card marked PCI because I have a slot in my computer that could accept the card.
Check if your bios is set to "Internal Video"
Check your monitor if it's connected to "internal Video"
I recommend a ATI PCI plug and play.Very cheap now.
This will require bios changes,Read your Motherboard manual for how to
do these adjustments and installations.
NO Manual ! Download a pdf version.

I don't have the ability to check the bios at the present time because I only get a black screen with no visable dos prompts, as I have stated the screen is just black with no prompts to push F numbers to go into set up. I tried already hiting F8 with no success when I pushed the start button in. The screen stayed pitch black, no dos prompts as stated previously. I will have to try possibly hitting F2 or F1, if my memmory serves me well, I think in days of past that is what it said while booting up when it did work. Do you know the possiblily if the onboard video could be the reason for a completely black screen and if bypassing it with a plug in video card would allow the dos prompts to reappear? Funny its like asking for a magic trick.

Whats left to do

I don't have the ability to check the bios at the present time because I only get a black screen with no visable dos prompts, as I have stated the screen is just black with no prompts to push F numbers to go into set up. I tried already hiting F8 with no success when I pushed the start button in. The screen stayed pitch black, no dos prompts as stated previously. I will have to try possibly hitting F2 or F1, if my memmory serves me well, I think in days of past that is what it said while booting up when it did work. Do you know the possiblily if the onboard video could be the reason for a completely black screen and if bypassing it with a plug in video card would allow the dos prompts to reappear? Funny its like asking for a magic trick.
1.Take off the side,Does a green light appear on the Motherboard ?
2.You may need a new Power Supply.
MY last comment
Take it to a repair shop.
Note : Bios entry is usually Delete or Esc.Read your Manual.
:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back