Black screen of death with movable cursor after system restore

Ambam00

Greetings!

I sincerely hope that someone here can help me. I had a windows update that would not install (got stuck at part 3, 0%) after about 8 hrs I went ahead and turned off and restarted the computer. I could get into windows, but it was super slow. I restarted in "plain" safe mode and everything work fine. I ran MBAM and AVAST and they did not find anything. I restarted in safe mode with networking (to update the scanners just in case) and the system again ran super slow. I was able to update MBAM after about 4-5 hours, so i restarted in plain safe mode, ran MBAM still found nothing. I ran windows defender and found nothing. I tried safe mode with networking, still super slow. I decided that perhaps it was the windows update that was the issue, and i used safe mode to restore the computer to a date prior to the update. This caused a NEW problem. Now I will go through POST just fine, see the windows green bar just fine, flash the windows logo screen ok...but instead of seeing the log in page I will get a black screen with a movable cursor. This occurs even if safe mode is selected (any variety).
On the black screen with movable cursor (arrow) after POST and before the log in screen I have tried:
Ctrl-Alt-Delete (nothing happens)
Pressing shift 5 times (this brings up the sticky keys dialogue box)
Pressing the windows button on the keyboard (nothing happens)

I restarted the computer and used f8 to enter the "advanced" start up options. Here are my results:
Startup Repair finds nothing wrong
Repeated system restore with a different date --problem still occurs (did this for 4 dates)
Windows memory diagnostic tool (no problems found)
CMD chkdsk/r for C: fails to run, says "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process." I tell it Y to run at the next restart but it never runs, just boots up to the black screen with cursor.

I have tried USB based recovery disks and burning various cd recovery disks, but the computer will not boot from them (Yes, I've changed the bios, it just "hangs" on a black screen with blinking cursor in top left if I select anything other than the hard drive, I've left it for an hour like this (the whole time the USB light is on, but nothing ever loads) for the cds, sometimes the reader is spinning sometimes it just flashes a few times and moves on to load from the hard drive. I've tried three different recovery programs in both usb and cd form.

I have an ACER aspire M3201 desktop, 4GB ram, Vista Home Premium. I use Avast and Malware Bytes for antivirus and spyware respectively. I do not have recovery disks, I use ACERs built in Windows System Recovery Options.

I am willing to "give up" at this point, but only if I can copy my files. Is there a way to use the system recovery command prompt to copy my files? I have a second internal hard drive or I have a USB external drive.

Any suggestions on how to either fix the black screen or recover my files?

Thanks,

Ambam00

Pull out the hard drive and put it aside for now. Get a new drive and install it. Load Windows fresh. Apply all the drivers and Windows updates. Install the old drive as a second drive and recover your important files that way

Or load Ubuntu from disk which will allow you to move files around on the bad drive, and move your files to a flash drive or external drive. then format. I personally would do what tmagic suggested because its faster. Depends on the $$$ situation.

Or load Ubuntu from disk which will allow you to move files around on the bad drive, and move your files to a flash drive or external drive. then format. I personally would do what tmagic suggested because its faster. Depends on the $$$ situation.

I don't think I can do it this way, given I can't get the computer to load off of any media I've tried so far. I'll have to wait to buy a new hard drive. No way to transfer the information without removing the drive?

thanks,

Amberly

"No way to transfer the information without removing the drive?"...

No, not easily I'm afraid...
"Pull out the hard drive and put it aside for now. Get a new drive and install it. Load Windows fresh. Apply all the drivers and Windows updates. Install the old drive as a second drive and recover your important files that way"... as I said

Back