Black screen on startup after CPU upgrade

By Golden122
Aug 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. About a week ago I ordered a new CPU & power supply for my PC. After installing the Power supply I turned it on to make sure I connected everything. It booted up just fine went into windows then I shut it down.

When I put the new CPU in I had a hard time installing the CPU fan, and eventually just gave up on it and put my old one on as a place holder. It booted up to a black screen. I thought maybe it wasn't compatible as It is a 140w cpu and my old one is a 125w. So I switched it out for my old CPU and I've still got the black screen.

When I turn it on all the fans start up, the LED on my motherboard is solid green. I hear no beeps.

-I've checked to make sure everything's connected, even unplugged everything and plugged it back in.
    -I've tested my ram sticks by using one at a time then placing them in different slots.
    -I've reset the bios by removing the battery overnight.
    -The monitor works, because I'm using it right now on a backup PC.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,410   +213

I don't know if I have the answer but start by giving the specifics of your system. What CPU, power supply, motherboard, RAM, etc do you have?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.