Black screen upon boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

So I have a Gateway FX laptop which is running Windows Vista 64-bit. I decided to download the latest driver for my Nvidia 8800M GTS videocard. When I tried to install it, it said that I needed to uninstall my old driver first and then restart. After I restarted it, thats when the problems began.

Now, occasionally, the laptop starts but the screen is completely black (no backlight) and and beeps a few times.

Or, it gets to about the login screen and then turns black (backlight is still on)

Or, it takes me to startup repair but turns black after a few miuntes (backlight is still on)

Sometimes, my after my laptop screen goes black with the backlight still on, and it restarts itself automatically.

I have read somewhere that it is an excess of charge that has been building up. I tried taking the battery out, unplugging it, and holding the power button for 60 seconds, but it did not fix it (Got to about 3 minutes into the startup repair screen before my laptop screen started turning black again). My heatsink/fan has also been malfunctioning recently, causing the internal temperature of the CPUs to average around 50-60 degrees when I am not playing games.

I have never had a successful boot-up since. I am a freshman in college, and I do not have the time or resources to take my laptop to a hardware store and get it fixed. Any feedback on this problem will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, maybe you can try to restore the system by booting into safe mode and doing a system restore from the previous day. Joyfax server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back