Black screen when graphics card plugged in

Quentin

I recently built my new computer and have been having problems with the graphics card. My computer runs fine on my i5 graphics but I want better graphics so I purchased a Saphire Radeon 7850. When I plugged it into my motherboard and plugged in the power I then turned on the computer. Everything was working fine. The fans on the graphics card began to spin. and I could here windows being booted. The problem was the screen was black. Nothing was showing up and my monitor went on sleep mode. I turned off my computer and un-plugged in the power sorce of the graphics card and tried to turn on the computer and it worked fine. The monitor worked and everything was good. If anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated!

Did you plug the monitor cable into the back of the actual graphics card, or is it still in the motherboard port?

I plugged my DVI cable into both the graphics card and the motherboard. Neither worked. when graphics card was plugged out the motherboard worked perfectly.

Try plugging the card into another PCI-E slot, and inspect the PCI-E connector to make sure nothing is bent or brocken.

I tried plugging in the graphics card to both connectors. Neither worked.
6sszdz.jpg

Perhaps your power supply isn't up to the task. What brand and model is it?

The graphics card came with a 6 pin connector 3 molex pin converter cable. But I unplugged it and used the PCI-E straight from the PSU. Would this make a diffrence?

It might be worth trying with the converter, although I doubt it will make a difference.

It really shouldn't make a difference but as long as it works who cares?

Boy , wish it were that easy for me. Turned my pc on one morning and all started up but....black screen and the card just kept whirring and would not turn on.... I figured it bit the dust, unplugged it and tried onboard and that worked , problem with that....the good card was an 8800GT , the onboard is a stinky 6150 so my main virtual world is sucky right now!!

Looking to buy an 8400 from Nvidia , its what I can afford and hella better than that 6150! haha

Back