Black screen when installing new video card

Tait

Hi,

Ive just built my first PC and I'm trying to install a new graphics card. The motherboard I have is a Gigabyte AMD 880G GA-880GM-UD2H with a built in graphics card which works perfectly fine when I load it up. However, I plan to use my PC for some gaming so I decided to buy a XFX Radeon 5850 1GB Graphics Card.

The trouble is when I fit this into my PCI-e slot and go to turn on my PC the screen stays black, I see absolutely nothing and there is no signal to my monitor. Everything powers up and all the fans start working including the one on the graphics card. Ive changed the BIOS so it boots video from the PCI over the on board graphics as well. I've tried researching online all I can but to no avail. Like I said this is my first build so I'm fairly new to all this and I have no idea what else I can do. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who could help me with this, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it working. Might my graphics card be faulty?

Hi, i think is just some power issue to the card, or fine you may have changed to pci, but would suggest that you put it into AUTO mode so that the system can select the default display of its own, the other would be to make sure that the card is working fine, is it tested to meet standards or it those fake chinese cards, i would try it in another computer to be sure that its not bad.
Try all you can think off...

Hi, sorry I should have mentioned that I already tried it with the motherboard set to auto as well before changing it to boot from PCI first but thanks very much for the help. I read somewhere that I may have to disable my built in graphics card manually first by going to the device manager, might this be what I need to do? My only worry is that if it doesn't work how do I enable my built in one again? Also is it possible to have it plugged in to the PCIe slot and boot my PC using the on board graphics card to see if it is registering it and to install the drivers for it, then go back into the BIOS and set it to boot from the new graphics card. Might this work? Sorry if some of these sound like stupid questions like I said I'm new to all this.

Also I am right to think that this card should be compatible with my motherboard?

Yes the card is compatible but i dont think it will disable anyway.
So how a head and try it, all i know it will setup a new video interface but with poor quality graphics.
If setup in Auto mode, then when you put your vga cable into the onboard, it will switch to that and vice versa.
I think it would be wise to connect the card to the specific slot otherwise you might kill it yourself.
Hope that helps

Back