TechSpot

Black screen when playing games

By razaelya
May 18, 2008
  1. I have a Emachines T6212 with ATI raedeon 2600 video card w 512 mb, and 1.5 gigs of ram. I have been getting a no signal input and then a black screen from my monitor while playing WoW and AoC.

I have systematically done everything I can think of to solve the problem but was hoping maybe someone else might have other ideas... this is what I have done.

. Checked and updated all drivers.
    . Upgraded the powersupply.
    . Upgraded the video card.. this solved the problem with WoW but not AoC.
    . Checked and updated Drivers again.
    . Got a new VGA cable for the monitor.
    . Got a new monitor.
    . Cracked the case for airflow.. Nothing is hot in there.
    . Cleaned it with compressed air.
    . Set to optimal settings in Bios
    . Changed MSconfig to only run needed programs.
    . Ran a registry cleaner, diskcleaner and defragger... I'm doing whatever at this point.

Please any other clues as to what might be causing this, I really don't want to have to buy an new comp.

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Have you checked your RAM? Run memtest for 6-8 passes on each stick to see if any of them is faulty.
    Also, have you tried flashing your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version?

3. czarh

czarh TS Rookie

I have the same problem:( with the same video card

If nothing ends up working my reccomendation is to get a refund on your 2600 and go buy a new card, possibly an nvidia 7xxx series or an ATi 3xxx series

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Are you sure the game's screen resolution and refresh rate is set to something the monitor can handle?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.