TechSpot

Black screen with a white underscore blinking..

1. Hi there,

I have a Dell laptop and as of last night all it has been doing is giving me a blinking white underscore on a black screen. I can access the f12 menu thing and using this special media thing (where i turn it on and i can access photos videos etc) i can get my files.. so obviously my harddrive is still oky (or at least my files are ok).

As for whats happening can any one offer any advice? I have read another thread in this thing about this same incident but the advice was really beyond my level of expertise (which is basic).

I am running Vista.. if that helps!

Susan
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Something is causing the operating system to not load. It could be a bad file or some type of corruption on the hard drive. Have you tried doing a Vista Repair using the installation DVD?
  3. SusansComputer

SusansComputer TS Rookie Topic Starter

I havent really tried anything because whilst I can still access my files via the media thing I want to save my harddrive before touching stuff! Without turning on, how can the installation CD work? Slash.. I will have to find it first haha

Does it sound like a quick fix error, or perhaps the computer has reached the end of its life?
  4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

If you have the DVD you can attempt a repair install which will leave your data the way it is. If you're able to access your files then see if you're able to copy them to a USB thumb drive or external hard drive for back up. If that doesn't work get a BartPE CD, Symantec Ghost 14/15 or Linux Live CD and copy the files from the hard drive.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.