Black Screen with Cursor in Center

scottcom4

Hi Guys,

Over the weekend I downloaded a file that contained a video file and the supposed codec's packaged as an .EXE. Upon installation of said codecs AVG Pro flagged Services.exe as having a virus that could not be healed as the file was presently in use. I therefore ran AVG from my boot disk, once again this file was located and again could not be healed. I ran a scf /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\service.exe on the file, as I located information online that suggested this might work. Following this I rebooted my laptop and immediately after the windows animation begins the screen goes black and an arrow cursor appears in the centre of the screen. If you leave the screen up for long enough the laptop reboots itself and the process starts again. The sticky key test doesn't work, nor does pressing crlt+alt+del.

I have attempted to boot in safe mode, safe mode with network support and safe mode with command prompt without success.

I have created a boot disk using my other laptop and have attempted to use the System Restore, however there are no system restore points available, even though I created one less than a week ago. I therefore began using the Startup Repair. Even though some repairs were undertaken, the system failed to boot sucessfully. I have since attempted to use the Start Repair again, however I get a message saying that another can not be undertaken because a previous repair is still awaiting a restart.

I have also completed a fix on the MBR, but this had not effect either.
I have been discussing this issue with Broni in the Security and Malware forums, who has been very helpful, but can't locate any threats present, so I thought I might post this in the Windows forum to see if there were any other ideas.

https://www.techspot.com/community/...h-cursor-in-center.192572/page-2#post-1307656

Could someone please offer me some assistance as I am completely out of ideas?

Thank you
Scott

Why did you fix the mbr?

things to do:
system restore (which you did and failed to correct black screen)
restore system image (if you created a system image to a bootable usb drive or bootable dvd)
restore system image (from a hidden partition for branded deskops/laptops)

boot into safe mode with networking and create another user and see if the "black screen" is still there.

reinstall windows 7 (if you have your license key or COA sticker; and you have a windows 7 installer)

install windows 8 pro (if you like windows 8 and willing to purchase a new license key for about 100$ more or less)

Do you have Windows XP scottcom4? That is a common issue. Defragmenting your HDD can help. If that doesnt help, clean installing the OS like Bulto said should cure the issue.

Back